Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:29 AM   #1

Default 64 bit PS 32 bit plugin

First let me state I searched here, but did not find, so if this has been asked before I am sorry.
I was running an older version (very older) of PS and had a bunch of freebie plug-ins, and one purchased plug-in.
I upgraded to Win 7 64 bit, and a new version of PS.
Now that just drained my wallet so I want to use my old purchased plug-in (it works for me, I don't think I need to upgrade it). But when I installed it it only installed on the 32 bit version of PS, so when I typically open PS it opens the 64 bit, and my plug-in is not available.
So I have to close one and open the other, etc.
Is there a way to make the already installed plug-in appear and work in the 64 bit version as well as the 32 bit it installed in?

I hope I am not too confusing.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2010, 3:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Plugins have to be specifically designed either 32 bit or 64 bit. So, you'd need to check with the plugin creator to see if they have a 64 bit version of it. IOW, a 32 bit plugin is not going to work in 64 bit CS4.

Plugin compatibility is one of the reasons Adobe installs both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of CS4 when you're using a 64 bit operating system (because many plugins don't have 64 bit versions available yet).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 9:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, that is pretty much what I was afraid of.
Is there anyway to tell Win 7 to use the 32 bit version instead of defaulting to the 64 bit version do you know?
Though I was not a PS iser back that in that day, I sort of remember this whole same fiasco when Windows went from 16 bit to 32 bit.
fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:18 PM   #4

In the All Programs menu there will be 2 entries for Photoshop.
Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit) & Adobe Photoshop CS4
Just initiate the non 64-bit version.

What I do is have a shortcut on the taskbar going to the 32-Bit version.

You could also change the file type associations for specific files by right clicking on a file, choose Properties, click Change next to Opens With and then click Browse.
From the drive your apps are installed to, be sure to select 'Program Files (x86)' (that's the 32-bit version) > Adobe > Adobe Photoshop CS4 > Photoshop.

File associations can also be set within Bridge.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Administrator

Thanks Stevekin. I missed the followup question and would overlooked changing file associations anyway. That sounds like a great way to handle it if you prefer the 32 bit version as your default.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:29 PM   #6

Not so much a preference Jim.....more a necessity. As many plug-ins don't work with the 64-bit version (yet), as you know
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote