Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Default Topaz Clean

Topaz Clean is being marketed as a plug-in for glamour photography I think because mainly it smoothens and evens out skin as my edit of my daughter’s picture below might show.

#1)

So I thought I’d do the same and apply Topaz Clean using the “crispstyle” preset to glamorize New York City’s Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood, too . All pics were taken two days ago along 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.

#2)

#3) Sign on the left says, "Wednesday Actor's Nite". Not sure what that means but it is well known that among Hell's Kitchen's residents are starving Broadway actors and actresses.

#4)

#5) 46th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues is lined with bistros and bars and even a Thai food place.

#6)

#7)

#8)

#9) This photo shows how close Hell’s Kitchen is to the glittery buildings on Broadway.

Thank you for looking. Please feel free to comment and critique.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:48 AM   #2

I really prefer adjust and detail over clean.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Super Moderator

it almost adds an odd watercolor type distortion when used in architecture. it is pleasing in some, but rather odd in others here.

is there anyway to adjust the strength? its a little too "clean" for the portrait of your lovely daughter i think, if i could be toned down i see it being most useful for a shot like this. does it have an option to remove the effect in certain areas, like the eyes, hair with a brush effect or something?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:35 AM   #4

Yes, Topaz Clean has sliders -- I only used its "crispstyle" preset (which is among several presets) which automatically sets the sliders to certain values. You have full control on the final result.

Only one of my daughter's eyes was in focus so I downloaded and tried Topaz Vivacity to strengthen them. I think I overdid it.

Topaz Vivacity which they claim to be a superior sharpening tool over PS is not part of their bundle -- I don't have a license for it. I have yet to find out if it actually does a better job at sharpening than PS.

I noticed canvass-texture on the bridge of her nose. I noticed the unnaturalness of the hair, too. Some strands actually looked like gray hair to me. I still have to learn how to properly adjust Topaz Clean's sliders.

The sample photos on the Topaz Clean manual are much better and more realistic-looking than my edit. They don't look like water-color paintings at all but look just like regular glamour photographs. I hope they didn't cheat and actually used their other products Adjust and Detail just kidding...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:15 PM   #5
Super Moderator

part of it is naivety on my part since i have not used clean before.

but what exactly does it do that you cannot do in adjust and detail. since both of these products has the ability to go negative with detail and create a smooth look like you are describing. i think simplify can do that as well. just wondering where this products niche is that is not overlapped in other programs in Topaz' line.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:44 PM   #6

I don’t yet have a “feel” for how Topaz lines their products up -- one might think Topaz can just throw in all their sliders into one gigantic product like CS5. But that would probably make their product expensive (like CS5) so instead they sell individual, “specialized” products that are easy on the pocket. (You may opt for their “bundled” products, too, if you prefer, to save money.)

So, while Topaz Adjust has “Noise” sliders, they are not as robust and finely tuned as Denoise’s sliders. You get more control in Denoise.

The same is true I think, with Clean’s somewhat limited set of sliders compared to Simplify’s. (This is not to say that you might achieve the same Clean-looking edit using Simplify. I think Topaz employed different algorithms among the two products. I could be wrong as I am just starting to use them...)

As I post more pics in the future using their different products, hopefully the differences will become more obvious.

I see myself using Remask, Denoise, and maybe Adjust as part of all my pp. (I haven’t yet looked into Detail and Dejpeg.) I don’t see myself using Clean a lot -- I'm not into glamour photography. But for posting candid photos of gatherings which I do a lot in our church, I might use Clean to smoothen people’s skins. Regarding the round bellies that I often get complaints about when I take photos of them standing sideways, I’m afraid I won’t use PSE’s “liquefy” tool to flatten them. They will just have to work out at the gym.

In the meantime, here are three more edits using different Topaz products.

#10) Clean’s “cartoon” preset.

#11) Simplify’s “buzsim”.

#12) Adjust’s “simplify” preset. The preset did not affect the push pins that formed the girl's face. This was on display at Grand Central last week.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:36 AM   #7

i have been using topaz clean for months the digital portrait i posted of my wife was created using this

i can also tell you i have used it on my macro shots aswell in fact one way or another 90% of my images have had a little tickle with topaz clean although on some of them it is not so noticeable its a good product and if you can master the sliders you can achieve some great results by selective editing

pick topaz adjust over detail this as a lot more settings and basically does the same

pick topaz clean over simplify .

topaz de noise well we all know this is ace they are the three i would recomend (adjust,clean,denoise)

Last edited by simple; Aug 15, 2010 at 1:40 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 1:53 AM   #8

I have to go with PJ,

Adjust and Details are useful, but clean is a bit over the top for my taste. At time adjust is also. I admit, next to denoise 5, details is the only other one I like using.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 8:27 AM   #9

Yes, I think selective edits is the way to go. Sometimes, some areas I want to keep unchanged are affected by Clean. I love the two edits especially the fur on the dog's face.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:30 PM   #10

Like we have a Thread for HDR, perhaps we should have one for the Topaz plugins. So all can see the difference between them. It benefits anyone who is considering purchasing them. I suppose it could go in Digital art. But I believe a lot of interest would be shown if it was openly visible.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote