Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:43 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Black and White Action

Hi all,

Anyone got any good advice for creating an action for quality looking black and white conversion that is punchy rather than what I'm currently getting which is a bit 'basic'? I used to get better results with what I had set up when using PaintShop Pro, but now using PS CS3 I can't find a way to get results I like so much.

Advice appreciated.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:51 PM   #2

Does CS3 have the ability to adjust different colors (the black and white adjustment layer)? I skipped CS3 and don't know if that b&w conversion feature was new for CS4. I use it or else the Lightroom equivalent mostly.

If not, have you tried using channel mixer for converting? It does a reasonable job but I always had to fiddle to get things the way I wanted, and almost always had to go back and do a separate levels or curves layer to adjust contrast (I get along better with levels for some reason). But then, I often do that anyway.

I mostly use LR now for converting, I like the way I can see how adjusting the various colors with sliders and then the curves which is just above the b&w color adjustment panel.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:34 PM   #3

Mark, have you tried the Virtual Photographer plugin? It has a lot of B&W effects, as well as color, and each one is customizable, if the preset isn't exactly what you want.
I don't have the link handy, but it should be easy to find. Free, of course.
The downside for me, is I can spend too much time playing with it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2010, 5:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

mtngal, sorry for the slow reply, I've been on holiday and only got back a few hours ago. I can do a b&w conversion in CS3 but not too thrilled with the output, might just be me though.

Brian, I will check that out, it could be exactly what I'm looking for

Thanks both!!!

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote