Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:38 AM   #1

Default The new Topas ReMask 3

Hiya! Hey, I really need to start learning how to use layers, etc. I currently use Photoshop Elements 8. I received an advert for Topaz's new ReMask 3. My question is, it the ReMask 3 better than and easier than PSE 8's layers, etc.??? And, would it be good to know both, do they compliment each other, or is it better to just dive into one and use it???

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:28 AM   #2

I downloaded ReMask 3 a few days ago and have been using it. I have not yet learned to use its new features so I'm still using it the same way I use ReMask 2. I browsed the user guide and its new features -- the single color and the dual color pickers -- sound like what I'm looking for. So I'm excited.

Anyway, to answer your question, it's a lot more than PSE's layers. It makes cutting and lifting complicated objects in the foreground like trees and people's hairs from the background. You would just paint around the outline of the object with a thick brush and ReMask will figure out where the boundaries between foreground and background are.

In landscapes, I use ReMask to separate the sky from the foreground. I then use different treatments for the foreground and sky.

I hope this helps. Please ask away if you have any questions.

EDIT: I just re-read your post about layers. ReMask automatically creates a new layer of the cutout. So, yes, you will automatically be using layers when you start using ReMask -- which is actually a good way to learn about layers.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Dec 17, 2010 at 8:00 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:39 PM   #3

Hi vvcarpio, so good to talk to ya. Haven't chatted with you for a while.

Thanks for your time to write: Appreciate your words. I will definitely give it a thorough look over. There are some complicated things, now and then, that I would like to remove. I still have a lot to learn when it comes to post-processing.

I might get back to you one sticky item I find hard to remove... Thanks again.

Ned
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:26 AM   #4

Topaz just fixed some bugs and made a few improvements in ReMask 3 -- and released 3.1.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:35 AM   #5

yep! Saw it... got it... all sorted. Thanks Walt!