Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old May 9, 2011, 8:40 AM   #1

Default Weird Raw Issue

Hello this is my first post here I was recommended to come here at a different forum. I'm kind of new to photography but I have a good friend online who's been helping me with tips and stuff.

Any way I'm having an issue in Adobe's CameraRaw extension program where white backgrounds have a red negative effect as seen here

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...p/RawError.jpg

Now when I open the photo directly into CS5 the redness goes away it's only in the CameraRAW section. Any idea on how to get rid of this because it's really annoying to edit my photos with that.

Sorry if this is a dumb question I'm new to PS as well. Also if this is the wrong forum I do apologize I figured my question would be best suited here.
gvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2011, 8:54 AM   #2
Administrator

It's not an error, it's a feature. :-)

By default, it's going to show you clipped highlights in Red. Those are areas that are overexposed so bright (or your raw conversion settings are causing them to be overexposed) so that no detail is left in those areas. It will also show you blocked shadows in blue (areas so dark that no detail remains).

In that example, I see where you've got the brightness slider pushed to the right (which may be a contributing factor to the overexposed areas). I also see where you have contrast boosted (which is probably another contributing factor, since increasing contrast will tend to make bright areas brighter and dark areas darker, resulting in loss of detail in both highlights and shadows).

Note that you can probably press your J key to toggle between modes where you see or don't see those problem areas.

But, that feature (changing colors to show areas that have clipped highlights and blocked shadows) is designed to help you understand how your exposure and raw conversion adjustments impact detail in brighter and darker areas (and when you see red, no detail is left because those areas are too bright).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 9:14 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Any camera is going to be limited as to how much dynamic range (range of bright to dark) it's capable of capturing. That particular scene would be very difficult to capture from what I can tell from a quick glance (it looks like you were probably shooting towards the brighter side of the sky, with the trees dark because they were back lit), and may require more editing than most because of the amount of dynamic range in the scene.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011, 7:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the info, yeah I was trying to capture a sunset as the sun was going down thanks for the info I just thought it was an issue with the actual raw file itself.

Looks like I made the right choice joining this forum.
gvamp is offline   Reply With Quote