Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:23 PM   #1

Default HELP! Why won't NEF plug in work in CS2?

I have been all over the internet, adobe's site....everyone's an expert....but nothing they suggest works...even the directions in adobe don't work....I've tried plug ins 2.4 and 3.7...I've put them in the plug in folder or any other place that might seem appropriate in the path....all I get is thumbnails in browser/bridge....cleared cache...when I try to open the photo....I get an adobe error...wrong kind of format....I have photos on my Nikon D90 in NEF that all I can do is use photoscape to convert to jpg...Kind of defeats the purpose of shooting raw

In addition to the plug in folder...This the path and directions I followed according to adobe...It would be nice if it worked

Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS2\File Formats

5. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 4.

7. Launch Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Bridge.

Note: If generic camera thumbnails appear in Adobe Bridge, follow these steps:

1. Check to make sure the plug-in was installed in the correct directory in step 4 above.
2. Start Bridge.
3. Choose Tools > Cache > Purge Central Cache.

Any ideas....I'm very frutrated

gregg

Last edited by gregg; Nov 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM.
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2011, 5:12 PM   #2

Default Nobody can help me???????

I'm shocked....nobody can help me? I've tried the latest plug in 3.7 and put it several folders that have plug ins or extensions....I open the browse/bridge...clear the cache....right click the photo...then open....one of two things happens - the hourglass comes up for about 5 seconds then nothing....or the bridge closes and I get an error message..."not the right kind of document"...according to adobe's site...it should work with my d90 and cs2....

help please!

Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:07 PM   #3

according to the adobe web site. The D90 is not supported in that version of camera raw you need to update to at least version4.6 which means updating to at least CS3
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:25 PM   #4

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3587

are you sure? I can't find the link now...adobe's site is a disorganized mess...trying to search is a nightmare....but I remember seeing the d90 on the compatible cameras link for the plug in 3.7 for cs2...now when you click the raw link on that page it only shows the d90 as compatible for cs5

a friend of mine uses cs2 with the d300 NEF raw...so who knows

maybe I'm crazy

if it's true...I will convert them to DNG

Last edited by gregg; Nov 18, 2011 at 8:52 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:42 PM   #5
Administrator

The D90 was not added to Adobe Camera Raw until version 4.6. See where it was added in the 4.6 notes:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4036

That Camera Raw plugin is not compatible with CS2.

But, if you want to convert your .nef files to .dng format first, then you could use them with CS2 if you have Adobe Camera Raw 3.4 or later installed (and 3.7 is the last version compatible with CS2).

You can get the latest version of the free Adobe DNG Converter (6.5) here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5258

Then, just convert your .nef files to .dng files using the free DNG Converter, and you can open the .dng files in CS2.

If you want to open the .nef files directly without converting them to dng first, you'll need a newer version of Photoshop (CS3 or later will be needed to work with Camera Raw versions that work with nef files from the D90).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:57 PM   #6

wow thanks....it's amazing how many postings on forums all over the internet are saying that cs2 will support the d90 if you use that plug in

everyone's an expert I guess

the link below are just some of the photos I am converting...I just converted them to jpg before working on them...kind of defeats the purpose of shooting in RAW NEF if I can't work on them...I just watched a tutorial on adobe's site about the conversion to DNG and the advantages of that format

my first wedding

Thanks again tjsnaps and Jim

gregg
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:50 PM   #7

thanks all....that DNG converter program is great....I can then easily work with the DNG raw files in CS2 before converting to jpg