Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:57 AM   #11

Aha - I figured it out. Thanks - very nifty.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:07 AM   #12

I have the Nik DFINE 1.0 and it is very well worth using it. I just use the automatic modes and It works perfect. Of course it is not going to repair A rotton Photograph that has so much noise it should not have been kept anyway, It works great for the normal lower light camera noise that just seems to be there and before, I could do nothing about it. I use it first before any other adjustments are made on My picture.

First = DFINE
second= levels in photoshop
third= any filters (Nik Efex or Photoshop)
forth= crop
fifth= resize to print size want
sixth= sharpen with Nik sharpener pro
seventh= print

These are the most steps I ever use.
If only doing snapshots and printing 4 X 6 prints I just usualy just levels, size and print, but for $$$$$ I do the very best print possible.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:02 PM   #13

Quote:
P.S. I've tried Dfine, GEM, and Neat..., but none of them work well.
I can't speak for the others, but Neat Image works very well. You have to use profiles or make them yourself, but that is a one-time hassle. I think Neat Image is the only competent noise reduction that comes as a plug-in. Most other plug-ins are just sophisticated blurring programs. Smart blur in Photoshop works about as well as some of them.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:47 PM   #14

You may try good stand alone noise killer Helicon NoiseFilter. That's freeware.

Unfortunatelly, seems they have problems with their web-site or it closed(http://helicon.com.ua/noisefilter/),

or most likely they removed freeware stand alone version and included it into shareware kit"Helicon Filter" (you may visit http://helicon.com.ua/pages/index.php?id=440)

therefore I uploaded stand alone one:

http://www.kauppatie.com/helicon.zip (575 kB)

Everyone may downloadit to try, to test, to use.

Good luck!

Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:35 AM   #15

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I think Neat Image is the only competent noise reduction that comes as a plug-in.
slipe, does the NeatImage plugin "play" nicely with PS? What I mean by this is if you have a selection defined in your image, will the plugin only do NR in the selected area?
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:19 AM   #16

To some extent the choice of which noise filter is subjective.

I tried five different filters ( Neat Image, Noiseware, Noise Ninja Plug-In, Helicon, and Grain Surgery) on 18 different noisy pictures gleaned from the samples shown by many manufacturers and a few more of my own photos. I then graded them one to five and totalled the scores.My ratings, using the default settings on all filters, were:

1. Neat Image

2. Noiseware (close second)

3. Grain Surgery (close to Noiseware)

4. Noise Ninja Plug-in ( surprising distant fourth)

5. Helicon (free version worst of the lot by far)

I bought Noiseware Pro because they had a promotion that included their new plug-in. I find that their software works well without having to use camera specific noise samples. it's also very fast and intuitive.
oakvilleonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 5:13 PM   #17

Hey thanks for doing all the leg work on this one. Im going to have to give that filter a try.:|
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 9:38 PM   #18

Hi! I have Photoshop 7 and use the Fred Miranda plugin. I tried most of the others mentioned. Still have the free version of Neat Image, but Fred Miranda is my favorite. It costs $19.90. In fact, I have about six of his plugins and would not be without them.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/shopping/Xpro
Darlene Goff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:51 AM   #19

I would probably gone with Fred's plugin as well if there had be an opportunity to test it myself. It is certainly good value and from his sample correction it looks great. I have two others of his plugins Intellisharp and Velvia both of which I use all the time. I am posting the results of most of the software that I mentioned above on my photo blog site at:

http://eclecticimage.blog-city.com/
oakvilleonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:28 PM   #20

Any 1 Try Kodak Eastman DIGITAL GEM Plug-In form KODAK's Austin Development Center....

Me feel not bad too...just litter bit expensive
peter_ng is offline   Reply With Quote