Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Aug 19, 2002, 7:40 AM   #1

Default FFT's

I'm a Forensic Analyst, specializing in digital image enhancement of laten fingerprints on evidence. I'm currently using a plugin to photoshop that is sold by a company called MoreHits and simply called a pattern removal filter. I'm interested in what else is out there that will reconize and assist me in the removal of repeating patterns.
Digital Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2002, 2:18 AM   #2

Default Patterns

This is an interesting question. I would assume that any modification to a fingerprint would render it useless as evidence; a defense attorney would surely be able to use something like that to his clients advantage-assuming he became aware of these enhacement techniques. If you lift a print from something, then photograph it, wouldn't you be able to get an undistorted result in the first place. Just curious. Sorry I couldn't answer your original question...
tech type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 2:05 PM   #3

Quote:
I'm a Forensic Analyst, [and am] currently using ... MoreHits ... what else is out there that will reconize and assist me in the removal of repeating patterns?
If you're trying to remove other patterns (like cloth) you could try to use FoveaPro (or perhaps some other package that will let you do Fourier transforms). You try to mask out the frequencies that match the background and leave the ones for the fingerprint.

Alternatively, if we're talking check forgery, there are often enough checks (they rarely forge just one!) to get a corresponding blank area that you can subtract (once you've registered the images) the background pattern out, leaving the fingerprint. It really depends upon the nature of the image.

-jcr6

As far as these being useful in court, the examiner hasn't added something to the image that wasn't there before. The MoreHits guys do have a clue. Another book you might be interested in is "Forensic Uses of Digital Imaging," by Dr. John Russ. Also, you might talk to George Reis at ImagingForensics.com.
jcr6 is offline   Reply With Quote