Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Default Topax InFocus saves the day

Experienced SLR bird photographers have had numerous instances of failed shots when otherwise stationary birds mysteriously moved their heads or blinked during the exposure. I have long held the belief that they can see into the lens and either see your eye or the movement of the mirror and react instantaneously. I recently had the frustrating experience of trying to record what I think is an unrecorded behavior with a DSLR and getting absolutely nothing. I finally got smart and switched to my Sony SLT A65 which has an electronic viewfinder and no visible light path from the lens to the viewfinder and got what looked on the LCD like useable shots of the last opportunity I had (lens was a Sigma 70-300 APO) Unfortunately due to poor lighting, too shallow DOF (telephoto close-ups), rapid bird movement, and the thick glass of the patio doors, the pictures, when enlarged on the monitor full screen were the first ones I could not get decent images of when processed in PSE6. In desperation I tried a trial download of InFocus and was able to recover something usable. With more experience I might have done better, but after watching a couple of tutorials, this is what I was able to do. These were cropped, enlarged, and reduced for posting -- they won't win any prizes, especially since they will not stand enlargement beyond what you see, due to artifacts, but the important thing is that I now have a usable record of the behavior. Take a look and see what you think:

Strange Behavior

Last edited by penolta; Aug 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:03 PM   #2

I've used InFocus occasionally with mixed success. I should watch/read the tutorials, perhaps I can get more consistent/better results than what I have had in the past. I usually go from "not quite enough" to "way too much" and never quite get it at the point I want. You did very well with these.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I usually go from "not quite enough" to "way too much" and never quite get it at the point I want. You did very well with these.
Harriet, it may be that your pictures just aren't bad enough!
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:15 PM   #4

Re: the above, like your experience, I took a series of sots at an indoor meeting and InFocus didn't work on them, but they were taken with a better low light camera (a Nes 5R) and I didn't really need it. For another series of poor feeder pictures taken in poor light and processed in InFocus see the following thread:

More Feeder Follies - Aggressive Behavior