Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:14 PM   #1

Default NEF (RAW), TIFF and Photoshop questions.

So, I've been playing around with my new Nikon D7100 camera for a week or two and I love everything about it so far. Still learning though.

And so I've noticed the NEF RAW files aren't compatible with my Photoshop CS3, and there apparently isn't a fix for it. So I suppose my questions gravitate around .TIFF files since I'll be converting my RAW into TIFF.

I guess the first question is, am I losing anything with the conversion? Is TIFF just as good as RAW? And if so, how bad is the conversion?

Another question I have is, why are TIFF files so much bigger than the original RAW file? My last RAW file I converted into TIFF was 30ish MBs and it was converted into over 100 MBs.

Is there anything I might need to know about TIFF? And is there a better file extension to use where I won't lose anything and still be able to use my CS3?
spiritgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:44 PM   #2

If you are getting file sizes over 100MB, it is probably because you are using 16bit TIFF, so you won't be losing any information. The reason your Raw files are smaller is that they use a lossless compression scheme.
If you wish to keep the 16bit data, you are going to have large files.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:50 PM   #3

I'm fine with large file sizes, I just didn't want to lose any quality due to conversion. Thanks for answering my question, it just means I'll need a bigger hard drive to store all my photos. Thanks again!
spiritgod is offline   Reply With Quote