Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old May 31, 2004, 3:53 PM   #1

This is one very exceptional Photoshop plug-in for all of you who do a lot of portrait work. I could go on and on about it, but I suggest you find out for yourself by downloading the demo. It's called SkinTune:

http://www.phototune.com/skintune_intro.html
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:13 AM   #2

:evil:temporally demo is not avaible.
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:14 AM   #3

Phooey. They must be reworking something. Check periodically to see when it goes back up because it's well worth it.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 9:51 AM   #4

I've tried their 2020 Color MD plugin and had a fair amount of success with it. However, you'd have to be pretty serious about fine-tuning skin tones in your work to pay $150 for a plug-in! That's over 20% of the full cost of Photoshop itself - all for a plugin. Hope it's VERY good.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:18 AM   #5

It's not for snapshots because it simply isn't worth it for them. It's designed for professional photographers who do a lot of portrait work. I used the demo on some large portraits (no, I'm not a professional) and the difference it made was truly important. If I remember correctly, there will be an intro price of $99.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:00 AM   #6

I'm a bit late to the party, but after trying the demo I can't say this is too useful for me. The major problem it that it simply changes the overall huealong withthe changes needed to correct skin tones. I see no way to select only the present skin tones for change. For example, typically trees leaves and grass are green, skys or somewhat blue, red sweaters are red, etc. When this plugin is used to "correct" skin tones, it changes all colors which may or in many cases may not need changing. I've tried selecting only the skin by using PhotoShops select color range tool - once the present skin tones are selected the PlugIn simply "unselects" them and merrily changes all colors. A truly useful tool would allow only skin tones to be affected while leaving other hues alone unless the operator chose othewise. I suspect this plugin could be improved and perhaps in a studio situation where the hue of the backdrop and color of the clothes worn by the model may be unimportant this could be tolerated, but in many cases I simply want to change the skin tones while leaving other colors as they are. This is much easier to do by simply selecting an area of the face with the color range select while setting the "fuzzyness" slider to alow for variations. Then adjust hue or specific colors accordingly.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 2:22 PM   #7

Lin, it will work on justa selection, but while using the filter, it appears to be altering everything. Choose to accept the changes and then look at the photo. Only what you've selectedhas beenaltered.

You'll often find that the changes required arereally quite subtle and, in fact, subtle enough that Photoshop's Hue & Saturation changes things too much no matter how light your touch. The other thing is that, when skin has a color cast, everything else in the picture often has that same color cast. I've used SkinTune to adjust flesh color slightly and have then discovered all the other colors in the photoare truer.

All thissaid, the plug-in isn't necessarily for everyone. I, for one, will use it a whole lot more when the promised 16-bit version comes outsince I rarely work in 8-bit.

--Barbara
Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:46 PM   #8

Hi Barb,

I couldn't get the demo to work that way for PhotoShop CS on Windows. I use Color Range as the selection mechanism and the changes are not saved to only the selected area, but to the entire image on my demo copy. I emailed the developer and he seems to think that "color range" isn't a "selection," and that is why it's not working. I explained to him that in PhotoShop 8 (CS) one of the selection tools is "color range" and that it maks a selection just like the magnetic lasso, quick mask or any other selection device. Perhaps there is something in the code which prevents using color range, but that's the only quick way I know of to select only the skin tones.

I saved the images after correction and the entire image wasaffected rather than just the selection, so I'm guessing that there may be a bug in the program or at least in my copy which prevented using color range as a selection mechanism. After my return email from the developer, I'm reasonably certain that becaisehewasn'taware that color range "is" a selection mechanism in PhotoShop 8 and that may account for the issue. Unfortunately I've deleted the program now. Maybe I'll take another look when it's ready to work with 16 bit because it wouldn't be too much use to me only as a jpg tool.

Thank's for the link - it definitely has possibilities.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:57 PM   #9

Lin, I can't imagine what went wrong for you. I use CS also, andI just now grabbed a portrait and used the color selection tool to select the skin. (By the way, Quick Mask is far better for picky jobs like this.) I then used SkinTune on it and only what was selected was affected.

Weird, no?

--Barbara
Old Dec 20, 2004, 12:06 AM   #10

Hi Barb,

It is strange. I may download the demo and try it with PhotoShop 7 and see if it's different.

The reason I use Color Range rather than other masking techniques is because by using the fuzzy slider, I can selectively eliminate shadow areas smoothly on the skin from the selection without abrupt changes. I have some pretty sophisticated masking software from years back which only works with PhotoShop 5 and earlier which lets me super fine tune the mask by color range, but it's awkward to copy the mask to PhotoShop 7 or 8. I've become pretty good at fine tuning skin tones this way, but thought this automated plug-in might save a bit of time. I hope it can be made to work with 16 bit tiffs soon - that would be really nice. I'll let you knowhow it workswhen I re-install it.

Best regards,

Lin