Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Jun 4, 2004, 11:31 AM   #1

Hi all

Does anyone know of an action that realistically simulates film grain? (I'm trying to achieve a tri-x look).

The two criteria that probably make this impossible are:

1) It has to look good

2) It has to be free

Thanks for any suggestions and help!
bobpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:39 PM   #2

I don't know of an action, but I do know that when I am editing images scanned from film I sometimes need to recreate grain in places I have dissolved it by blurring, for example. I usually find that a bit of "add noise" followed by a small-radius Gaussian blur can match the grain of most film pretty closely--you need to experiment to find the right settings for a particular film, and possibly for areas of very different densities, in which case a series of masks might be in order.

If you have scanned images from the target film this is easy as you can fiddle in one area and preserve the real grain structure other areas for comparison.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 7:05 PM   #3

Is it native Photoshop's Film Grain filter is bad? Why?
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 7:47 PM   #4

The native grain filter is fine; sorry to say that despite being a long-term Photoshop user, with some expertise in some aspects of it, I had never found the grain filter, probably because it is grouped with the "texture" filters which I have never thought to be of interest. Now that I have found it, I will probably use it when the occasion demands.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 4:49 PM   #5
Administrator

Richard Rosenman has a free photoshop plug-in called "Grain Generator v1.2"

If you go to Richard's web site at http://www.richardrosenman.com/ , then select "Software", "Photoshop", you'll see a page of his plug-ins. Scroll down to the one for Grain Generator v1.2, and click on the screenshot to download the .zip file. This is the direct link to the file:

http://www.richardrosenman.com/software/graingen.zip

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote