Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Oct 18, 2004, 4:45 PM   #1

Hi everybody!, am just now starting to become fascinated with some of these (third party?) plug-ins I see listed throughout the web, for Photoshop (e.g. http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm). I tried dowloading the ZIP- unzipp, and dragging to the "filter" tab in PS-7... but nothing happens?

I have no idea what I am doing here or how to use a plug-in, I just am familiar with some of the features ofPS-7 (I guess all of these are preloaded "plug-ins").

I'm sure like probably everyone who uses PS already knows how to install a plug-in but I read the PS help and couldn't figure it out... I am NOT computer savy and just need some simple way to try out some of these Actions (and possibly delete them too but thats a differentmatter).

Can anyone assist me, please?

Thanks!

Bjane
Bjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:43 AM   #2

The website you mention has what are known as actions.To use these you have to extract the .ATN file to a location you will remember. It does not have to be in Photoshop. For example create a new folder in My Documents and call it Actions. Extract the file to this folder. Open Photoshop,click on the actions tab (next to the history tab to the right of the screen), then click on the arrow tab to the far right of the actions tab to reveal a drop down menu. Scroll down to Load Actions and then browse to the folder that you have placed the required action in. Choose the action thenclick on Load and if all went well the action should be listed in the Actions menu.

To use an action, open an image, thenclick onthe required action and press the play button at the bottom of the Actions palette, then follow any instuctions that may be given. Some actions allow for user input, some just do their thing.

To delete an action just drag it to the trash can icon immediately below the actions palette.

Hope this helps,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:01 PM   #3

Stevekin, your directions are perfectly clear and understandable-i appreciate the reply, and i will try it out when i get back home in a couple of days.

I wonder are there books? or something that help with all this PS-digicam-computer-video-etc stuff. Like "Photoshop & Digicams for Dummies" LOL (Oh! there prolly is).

thanks again- Bj
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4

Look up on Amazon books by Scott Kelby. He has a really good style. Two great books are :

The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers
and Adobe Photoshop CS Down & Dirty Tricks.

He does it in a Joe Friday "Just the facts Ma'm" style that is really easy to follow. It does not require cover to cover reading you can just go to the section on what is of interest. The other thing I respect of him is that updates are really updates. The book for Digital Photographers was heavily rewritten between versions 7 and CS.

Also don't forget that Adobe runs a filter and action download site that is free and pretty well organized.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:38 PM   #5

Glad to help Bjane. I agree with CastleDude, you won't go wrong with Scott Kelby. I have his the photoshop book for digital photographers which covers Photoshop 7. I still find it very, very useful. Also consider his book, Photoshop Down & Dirty Tricks. As you will soon find, there are many ways to skin a cat with P.S. and just as many ways to frustrate you. But stick at it.

CastleDude, good puzzle, but i could only find one of the answers, The Adobe Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter), Do i win a prize ?:-)

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 7:05 PM   #6

Stevekin & CastleDude (...dude).

All is good with the plug-ins and such, i've not loadedanything from that website thoughbut i found lots of other cool things from other places which will save me time.

Thanks~Bjane