Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:14 PM   #1

I have the photoshop plug in installed (v 2.3), but i can't seem to open any raw images properly. AllI get is an image with grey bars.

I'm using a pentax *ist ds, the plug in says that it is compatible with the *is d, the file type is the same with the ds, so it should work.

When I try to import an image, it asks me for the pixel dimensions, I enter them 3009/2009 and I get a message saying the the specified image is larger than the file? I think I'm doing someting wrong, it also asks for the number of channels, I left this at 1. I fiddled with it for a while and did get an image to open, but just grey bars?

I also have photoshop 7, and downloaded the plugin from Pentax. The plugin crashes every time I try to import a file? I downloaded it again and it still crashes?

I'm running panther on a G4.

I don't have the software cd that came with the camera. I'm going to see if I can get one from pentax, but I would prefer to use photoshop alone.

Help!
adam1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:51 AM   #2

I read last night on the DPReview website about a Beta version 2.4 that is supposed to give additional RAW access to cameras not currently supported. the ist DS is fairly new.This is supposed to work with the ist DS. Here is what I read:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0412/04...e_cr24beta.asp
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 7:13 AM   #3

adam1971 wrote:
Quote:
I'm using a pentax *ist ds, the plug in says that it is compatible with the *is d, the file type is the same with the ds, so it should work.

For a RAW file to be compatible with ACR, there is more than just a compatible format.

The 1Ds MkII uses the same CR2 format as the 20D and 1D MkII. Yet, 1D MkII images were officially supported and 20D files worked fine (although not suppported) with ACR 2.3 and 1Ds MkII files would not open.

ACR uses camera profiles generated by Adobe. So you really do need a camera that is supported (officially or unofficially).

I started a thread in the Photoshop Editor forum here. It has the link to the public beta for ACR 2.4. I agree with Greg. You should check and see if ACR 2.4 added support. It did add support for 4 or 5 cameras.

You should be able to download the Pentax software from their site. It's not like the software has any value to anyone except an owner of their DSLRs.

Cheers,

Mitch

Cheers,

Mitch
gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 11:25 PM   #4
Administrator

The 2.4 beta of Camera Raw supports the following new cameras:

• Canon EOS 20D
• Canon PowerShot S70
• Canon PowerShot G6
• Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
• Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200
• Konica Minolta MAXXUM 7D
• Nikon D2X

It does not support the *ist DS yet, no doubt the next update will
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:59 PM   #5

I installed the Photoshop CS ACR 2.4 betaand it reads my 20D files quite readily but, for whatever reasons, I am not able to set Windows XP (home) to associate Photoshop CS with ".CR2" files. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
MWilens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:13 AM   #6

Hi, I've just managed to associate the CR2 extension without any problems, but I have used XP Pro. It should still work for you. Try this:

1) Double click a CR2 file.

2) a dialog appears saying that Windows cannot open the file. Select the second radio button 'Select the program from a list'

3) an 'Open With' dialog appears. Select 'Photoshop' from the list.

4)enter a description in the box, such as 'Canon RAW Image'.

5) Check the 'Always use the selected program...' box

6) Click OK

That should sort it for you.
GeeeTeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:39 PM   #7

And unfortunately no Rebel XT support yet! Ouch, been shooting for 4 days, just d/l all my cards to the HD and ... UUUUGH.

Guess I'll have to load that Canon disc afterall
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2005, 6:02 AM   #8

switch to minolta, everything ALWAYS works

ha ha ha , i crack myself up
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 11:38 PM   #9

Well hurray! I see that Adobe has released a camera RAW update (3.1) that supports the XT. Whoo hooo! Unfortunately it is NOT COMPATIBLE with PSCS only CS2

Thanks a million Adobe! Now I can hurry out and drop another ~$300 just to edit my pictures.

Hopefully PSCS2 comes with a little KY jelly... :shock:
davedeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 11:56 PM   #10

300$? The 'upgrade' is a 200$ bump in Canada.
But it does have a few more nice aditions and improvements.
Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote