Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Oct 29, 2002, 8:38 AM   #1

Default healing vs. cloning

which tool is better to remove dust in photoshop7?...i like the healing but people keep saying to use cloning...why?
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2002, 10:15 AM   #2

I don't think you can say that the one is better than the other - it depends on things you will remove. Dust is many things.
I often use the healing tool i PHP7, which I find very usefull for lots of things.

Removing spots in complex colorareas I almost always use the healingbrush or copy an area, feather and paste. Works very well.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 7:18 AM   #3

Default It Depends....

What are yoiu removing dust from? In most instances the clone tool will probably be better but to give a spefic, for sure answer, we will need to know what you are removing the dust from. There is not "a whole" lot of difference between the two tools. The healing brush is the clone tool.... just supercharged
3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2003, 10:20 AM   #4

3rdEye.

Sorry to say - there a lot of difference between the clone tool and the healing brush.

The clone tool copies an area from a spot to another.
The healing brush calculates the pixels from the areal and merge them into another area.

Try open a close.up of a face. Try both tools to remove some of the skins red spots...youll soon see the difference.
Bye now!
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:23 PM   #5

Sorry, Klaus DK
Maybe I shouldn't have been so brief in my posting. I am well aware of how different the tools affect a picture and being that I do a lot of portrait photography I am a big fan of the healing tool. But if you take a look at the "Photoshop 7.0 for Photographers" book it breaks down how the healing brush works and some of the mathmetic calculations that it makes, which is more then I really want to discuss. But the calcutations for the most part is what sets the healing brush a part from the clone tool. This is why we call the healing brush a super charged clone tool cause you are still sampling pixels from one area and applying them to another minus the mathmetics behind it. Truly apologize to anyone who read my post if it sounded misleading.

Ramon

Thanks for clearing that up just in case if I mislead someone else.
3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 12:40 PM   #6

well we seems to agree on that topic.
Old May 27, 2003, 2:08 PM   #7

I have been using both the clone stamp tool and healing brush to get rid of dust from my film scanner scans. I like the healing brush better because the dust or scratches just disappear -- it's like a miracle! But if you apply it near differently colored areas some of the other color will show up in the "heal". If that happens I'll switch over to the clone stamp tool 'till I'm in the clear!
mae
rmae is offline   Reply With Quote