Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:21 PM   #11

Many pros use Grain Surgery and I got a chance to try it. I wasn't getting results as good as Neat Image so I looked up some material online. One tutorial mentioned that the automatic sample areas weren't chosen too well by the program and you should manually select your sample areas. Once I did that Grain Surgery did a very nice job. I notice that in the review Almond used the automatic area selections for all of his comparisons. Grain Surgery would probably have fared better had he selected his own sample areas.

I'm again not trying to say which might be best because I haven't compared all of them. But technique is important.

Comparing stand-alone programs using a shotgun noise reduction doesn't give you much idea of what you would get with a plug-in using different settings for various parts of the image. Or just noise reduction where it is really needed with the rest untouched. That the stand-alone comes up with a slightly better compromise for the entire image doesn't provide much information for someone who uses the plug-in.

Now that Noise Ninja has joined the big boys with a plug-in it probably gets good results.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:46 AM   #12

Ive got neat image and noiseware and noiseware wins hands down, It improves all photos even those that dont need noise reduction, it also sharpens as it reduces noise very well.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:31 AM   #13

there is another good anti-noise program

called Helicon Filter

http://heliconfilter.com/pages/index.php?id=446
klumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:48 PM   #14
Administrator

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
Ive got neat image and noiseware and noiseware wins hands down, It improves all photos even those that dont need noise reduction, it also sharpens as it reduces noise very well.
I really like it (Noiseware). I don't use the defaults (or the other built in profiles)much though. I usually opt for lighter noise reduction settings (unless the problem is very bad, and it works surpisingly well in that case, too).

So, I usually tweak the settingsa bit. I've also found it works well for higher ISO (read grainy) film scans. ;-)

Like aladyforty, I like the sharpening algorithms, too. They seem to work differently than sharpening algorithms I use in other applications (even compared to othernon-USM based techniques). So, I can resharpen with a different method after noise reductionfor even better results, without a photo appearing to be over sharpened.

Of course, sharpening is a matter of personal taste and I usually prefer conservative sharpening. But, even a +2 setting for sharpening is relatively conservative with Noiseware formany photos,dependingthe subject andnoise reduction settings.

I'll tell you onemore thing I've found noise reduction can work very well for... smoothing skin and skin color (much better than some packages that simply blur it), if you tweak the settings some specifically for this purpose (experiment with the settings until you get the look you want).

Try itwith a photo of someonewhereyour razor sharp lens captureda little*too much" detail fora photo to be flattering. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 4:59 PM   #15

I was reading this interesting and informative thread. It is about 10 months old though. Has anything changed in the ever fast moving field of noise reduction plug-ins?

Is Noisewarestill the lead horse?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:57 AM   #16

Noise Ninja wins hands down in my book. The plug in allows you to selectively apply the filter without having to send it to an external program.
44Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 3:13 PM   #17

Here's one more vote for Noise Ninja. I've got the plugin and stand alone versions and they do a great job for me.
44Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 9:09 AM   #18

Does anyone have a comparison of NN and others to DxO?

Bob

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 2:33 PM   #19

Noiseware professional gets my vote, it will be taking on more and more business as people realize just how sweet it is!
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote