Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:53 PM   #1

I have taken thousands of Jpeg's with my D70. A friend recommended shooting in RAW so I have been doing that for my last few photo shoots the problem is that I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong why they are so grainy looking. Here is what I do I take the RAW file and open it in photoshop CS. The RAW page in CS is the first that opens up were I can white balance and all that stuff I adjust to my liking then click OK. That window closes and the image comes up in Photoshop looking all grainy or pixilated. I move the size to 100% and you can see all the little colored boxes. What step in my missing or what am I doing wrong. I have tried saving it in .psd and reopening it and it's still looks bad. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Cdteo
Attached Images

cdteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:51 AM   #2

I'd tried looking at the attachment and while it does look bad what I'm mostly seeing appears to be JPG artifacts. I shoot a D70 in RAW mode all the time without the problems you're experiencing and what you are doing seems right. It would be interesting to see the exif data to see what settings you're using. The one thought that does come to mind is are you using a high ISO setting as that will generate more noise than shooting at 200 ISO. That said I wouldn't expect a JPG shot at high ISO to be better than a RAW file shot at high ISO.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. How do I view the exif data of the picture? Is that something photoshop would do for me or do I need some other type of software? Thank you for the help.

Cdteo
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2005, 11:50 AM   #4

Photoshop will let you view the exif data it's under file info in the file menu. I think you can view it in Picture Project as well. Not sure though because I ditched that and downloaded the free Nikon View from the Nikon website which is a much better piece of software IMHO.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 2:27 PM   #5

You were exactly correct on some of the pictures the ISO was at 1600. I guess I just need to watch what I'm doing with the camera. Thanks for showing me the how to look at the exif data thats pretty cool
Old Mar 15, 2005, 3:44 PM   #6

I find up to ISO 400 OK for most shots beyond that the noise becomes more noticable. I'll still use higher ISO when I need it to get the shot because I'd rather have the shot than miss it all together but I'll always use the lowest setting I can.
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:49 PM   #7

I was having a similar problem and realized that my D70 was set to auto ISO. I have since turned this off and left it at ISO 200 most of the time. This works much better for me. Maybe 400 once in a while but 1600? That's asking for it I think.

R
roseha is offline   Reply With Quote