Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:22 AM   #1

Do any of you guys use software to help calibrate your monitors so what shows up in programs like photoshop is what you see when you make prints? I've been having horrible results with the stupid Adobe RGB setting in the nVidia drivers for my new 7800gt graphics cards and wanted to find something that worked better. Most of the issues i'm having are how bright and good looking my shots look when i post process them in Photoshop and then when i try and print them, they're very dark and look like crap.

Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.6ghz
Asus A8N-SLI
nVidia 7800gt PCI-E
2gb Corsair XMS PC3200 (2x1024)
2x Western Digital "Raptor" 10k SATA RAID-0
2x WD SE 160gb HDD's (one is external)
Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum
Coolermaster ATC-200 Case w/3.5 Rheobus + Custom Side Intakes x2
PC Power & Cooling TurboCool 510 SLI
LiteOn 52x CD-RW & NEC 16x DVD+-RW
Dell 19" E193FP LCD
Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:45 AM   #2

Here is an example. This photograph i took while messing around with some depth of field techniques and in photoshop it the peas looked vibrant, the wine a nice clean chardonnay yellowish, etc. But when i printed the image, it came out very dark and flat out terrible. All my epson inks are new except my black is running low.... (actually it ran out much faster than usual and i have not printed much at all with the printer since i installed the black ink cartirage.... hmm...

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:58 PM   #3

I had similar problems, From what i remember I had to go into my printer software and turn off any color corrections the printer was automaticaly makeing. Tell the printer to not change or enhance anything. Also dont print your images from the windows picture and fax viewer window (that you have your image displayed with here). Ive never had luck printing anything that way that didnt go dark like you said. Print it with Photoshop with print preview and in the window that opens when your doing that check the box that says let photoshop color manage the image. That should do the trick. Post back if that still isnt working and Ill see what else the problem could be.

Good luck, Mark
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 8:05 PM   #4

Here is something else i just thought about with your question. I work in a Photolab and we use the sRGB color space.So, For example If i set my Nikon to shoot in adobe rgb and set Photoshop to work in adobe rgb and then take it to work to print it it will not look the same.. If your just printing them at home you should be fine but if your takeing them to a local photo lab then you might want to ask them what color space they are useing. If its not what your useing it will look a little differnt. its not a big differnce but depending on how picky you are you might want to ask. Pain to go to the trouble to make something just like you want it in Photoshop and then not have it print out looking the same.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5
JKA

Try here:

http://www.easyrgb.com/calibrate.php

Good luck!

JKA is offline   Reply With Quote