Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Plug-ins & Actions (Photoshop and compatible)

Old May 20, 2003, 1:23 PM   #1

Default How to simulate the effect of a polarizer?

Is there a way to use Photoshop to darken the sky in a photo, as would have been done by a circular polarizer at the time the picture was taken? I suppose I could manually select the sky with the lasso and darken it, but that seems really imprecise.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2003, 4:37 PM   #2

Default Try nik...

The folks at nik multimedia do an interesting polarization filters.
You may want to try their demo @ www.nikmultimedia.com
Jean Paul Latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 11:28 AM   #3

a CP does more than darken the sky. it also resolves a lot of reflection issues and can increase contrast overall when used in the right circumstances.

you can't always "fix it in the mix"
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2003, 11:03 PM   #4

IMO, one of the most interesting and useful effect of a polarizer is cutting of reflection , and this can not be done in software : glare on glass , windows, water surface …
in fact , the information ( what you see through a polarizer beyond the surface: scene behind the windows, fishes in water…) is not in the picture file .
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:45 PM   #5

Yes, I know that a polarizer does those other things, and that there's no way to achieve them in post processing. The effect I was talking about is the sky darkening, and I've figured out how to accomplish it on my own anyway.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:03 AM   #6

Darken the sky by using a grandient effect. Blue in the uper half and transparent at the lower. Use the effect on a layer and then you can determine how deep the color will be or change between blending modes. I dont believe there are strict rules on how to do it right. Just follow your instinct, try -then undo -then try again....until you like the result you like better. I believe most artists use a grandient paint a skies , looks cool enough! Try it on sunset photos!
Barret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 12:45 PM   #7

You can simulate a polorizer with levels but the problem is you still wont have clouds. The purpose of the polorizer is to bring out different objects by reducing refelection. Anything in after market cant make that happen if they are not there.
phili1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 4:15 AM   #8

Wow... I posted this thread 11 months ago. This section doesn't get many posts. :lol: