Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:26 PM   #1

I see wedding photographers offer prints that are 'sprayed and mounted'. Can someone tell me what this is? Whats the difference if I get it sprayed and mounted then drop it in a frame, or if I just drop it in a frame (without spray and mount). It seems that the spray and mount isn't needed when you get a frame that already has a back and a glass pane. Also, Is the 'spray' an adhesive for the print to stick to the board or is it a protective covering for the photo. Thanks in advance.

soukups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:30 PM   #2
fdi

soukups wrote:
Quote:
I see wedding photographers offer prints that are 'sprayed and mounted'. Can someone tell me what this is? Whats the difference if I get it sprayed and mounted then drop it in a frame, or if I just drop it in a frame (without spray and mount). It seems that the spray and mount isn't needed when you get a frame that already has a back and a glass pane. Also, Is the 'spray' an adhesive for the print to stick to the board or is it a protective covering for the photo. Thanks in advance.

Spraying the print is for protection and or visual enhancement. For example a shinny spray on a matte print can add a glossy appearance or provide a little deeper color saturation. In some cases, the protection may not be effective. In most cases, it is a technique of marketing to increase the perceived value of prints from the photographer. Mounting is how the image is attached to the board it is attached to. Unless the picture frame is mat less the image will need to be mounted to the mat or the backing to remain centered. Glass, especially UV glass will generally provide more protection than most sprays but that depends on the spray, print technology, and paper. I have more information on a variety of picture frame mounting and methods here.

Cheers,
Mark
http://www.framedestination.com
http://www.pbase.com/lila161
fdi is offline   Reply With Quote