Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1

I have an Epson Printer R220 printer. I have been trying to print detailed photos with trees changing leaves and the photo is not printing the the fine details of the trees,, etc. Now I tried using Staples Ink instead of Epson and would that make the difference. Would luv to hear back from others. I am printing some photos at a local photography store to compare the differences.
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:09 PM   #2

What settings are you using ?

What paper are you using ?

Is the image to be printed a good size for high quality printing ie at least 300 pixels per inch or so ?
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:42 PM   #3

I use Kodak Superior Premium GlossyPaper, I have the settings on Best Photo, set for glossy paper, and the image is 8 megapixels. I really think that it might be the ink as I am using no name ink from Staples. I am having a couple of photos with fall foilage done outside at a photography store so I will be interested to see the results. I did a deep cleaning of the nozzles, etc so the printer should be okay with the six ink tanks?
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:47 AM   #4

I've had problems in the past with none Epson paper and inks, I used Epson premium glossy only and genuine Epson inks.
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:47 AM   #5

there is a bit of paper normaly with kodak paper that tells u the correct settings for your printer.......its not just enough to set it to best quality, you need to do more. the kodak website will have the settings incase u lost the paper, once set up u can save the profile and then its easier next time :-)

i had similar probs as you and since following the guide i have them no more

Gary

ps head clean wont make a difference unless u got lines.....it just wastes ink
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:11 AM   #6

Quote:
I've had problems in the past with none Epson paper and inks, I used Epson premium glossy only and genuine Epson inks.
I as well. I'm really regretting the second i put non-epson ink in my printer because it clogged the nozzles and I'm STILL declogging and running print head cleaning utilities 2 weeks later - the verdict is still out as to whether or not the print head is damaged in which case, I can just toss my beautiful printer in the garbage.

Not just cheap ink, but OEM - the kind you get at the German Staples.

Not worth it ever - for other printers apparently its ok but from searches on the internet and fixourownprinter.com, Epson is the one printer not to screw with. From Denny at FYOP:

Quote:
Reguarding Non-Epson Inks & Ink Cartridges: Unfortunatly, not all "Generic" & "Third-Party" ink cartridges are made the same and none of them actually contain the right formulation of ink, for the Epson Printers [formula is patented by Epson Company]. Some are probably close and seem to be better than others, but some simply can clog-up or even damage the "Printhead Assemblies" on epson printers, especially the newer models made with-in the last few years. I understand the differences in the costs of the non-epson ink and ink cartridges, compared to the actual epson ink cartridges and the choice is always yours to make. It really does not matter to me what type of ink cartridges you decide to use in your epson printer, but I do feel you should know that its actually the wrong ink and can cause possible problems in Epson Printers. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW: Epson ink jet printers are one of the few printers on the market that seem to have so many problems with non-manufactors inks. Epson printers use a completely different printhead inking system than most other brands of printers and correct epson ink formulation is vital. Those printheads are one of the reasons that the epson printers make such quality color prints, that so many people rave about. Epsons "Micro Piezo Ink Jet Technology" and the ultrafine 4-picoliter ink droplets used in most of the epson ink jet printers, just don't always work well with non-epson inks. Most, if not all of the other manufactors, use thermal or bubble jetprint heads and because the other brands use a totally different system, they don't seem to have as many problems using refilled inks or non-manufactor's ink cartridges. There are people that say they use "Generic" or "Third-Party" inks or ink cartridges in their epson printer and have never had a problem, but I've seen and read about too many problems caused by using non-epson ink. No matter what anyone says, all blacks and colors are not the same. Printer manufacters do not make available their ink formulation and in most cases, the formulation is patented. Any difference in the ink formulation can clog the small printhead nozzles or damage other critical components. One individual printhead nozzle is so tiny, that it will not accept a human hair, so you can see why they can get clogged so easily, or even why the nozzles can be so easily damaged. epson has many different formulas just for its black ink, for all the different epson printers, let alone for their colored inks. Generally if you are using non-epson ink or ink cartridges, or refilling your old cartridges, you are using the wrong ink for your printer and sooner or later you will have some type of problems, almost everyone does. You are taking your chances by using third-party or generic ink cartridges, or even by refilling your old cartridge
I wish i would have seen that before I made my mistake, because now I am on Steves scouting out the next printer I should buy in case this one is reversibly damaged. :sad:
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Not worth it ever - for other printers apparently its ok but from searches on the internet and fixourownprinter.com, Epson is the one printer not to screw with. From Denny at FYOP:
I wouldn't even go that far, I wouldn't recomend non-manufacture inks for any brand of printer, especially Epson, Canon, and HP. I've heard problems with all of them using off brand inks. The few dollars you save is never worth the time it takes to clean out your nozzles or replace your printer. Pony up and buy the right inks, even if they don't clog up your printer, the quality is never on par.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:21 PM   #8

in england its over £60 for genuine ink for r200 compared with £6 for compats thats a £54 saving hardly a few bucks :-) i tend to get about 18 months hard use out of mine b4 i need to bin them, saving over that time is huge.....i use continous ink systems too

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 6:09 AM   #9

Caboose wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't even go that far, I wouldn't recomend non-manufacture inks for any brand of printer, especially Epson, Canon, and HP. I've heard problems with all of them using off brand inks. The few dollars you save is never worth the time it takes to clean out your nozzles or replace your printer. Pony up and buy the right inks, even if they don't clog up your printer, the quality is never on par.
Yeah you're right; I don't want to take that risk again with any printer.

I only mentioned Epson specifically because its the only one I've had experience with, and I know there are other people on this board that DO use generic ink so I didn't want to get into a scuffle with them :G

I had to laugh though, because on the FYOP site, when i did a search for Epson it seemed there were a LOT of problems at the 2 year mark and someone commented that Epson seems to have built in a time-released function to kill your computer. And then my flub (although from what it looks like, appears to be my own fault), happened at EXACTLY the two year mark. :lol:

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:46 AM   #10

I have had 3 epson inkjets, cx 1500 x 2 both lasted me over 2 years. I used generic ink that was only $9 for black and $13 for colour I talk in New Zealand dollars. In US money I think thats 5 and 10 dollars respectively.

we do use our printers a lot, so both the 1500s died at about 2 years. we put about 1 complete set of cartriges in per month. thats 24 X $15 US approx. = $360

if I had used epson genuine That would have been $1440 so forgive me, but my economics is not my strongest point, but that means I could afford to replace my printer every two months, for a brand new one and still not be paying as much as using a genuine ink in one printer.If I sold my printer every two months before it broke down then I could save even more and always be up to date in my printer.

I have lovely photos on my wall and everyone is happy.

Just another way of looking at it.

By the way my other printer is a CX 3100 which I love and still going strong on generic inl

mainlycameras is offline   Reply With Quote