Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Dec 25, 2006, 6:44 AM   #1

I just read something in a printer review that shook what I thought i knew about PictBridge printers/cameras.

Originally, I thought - as long as both the printer and the camera have it, the two will work together as per this statement found on another digicam site:

Quote:
PictBridge is a standardized technology that allows printing images from a memory card in a digital camera directly to a printer, regardless of brand.
Then, i looked up the printer I'm thinking about a Canon MP600 (feel free to steer me away from it if you know something bad....) but I read this (bold mine):

Quote:
Canon PIXMA MP600 - PictBridge When used with a supported Canon digital SLR, these new photo all-in-ones support the user-friendly Canon-to-Canon Direct Advantage. Connected via the PictBridge port, the Canon-to-Canon connection allows users to brighten faces, print shooting information on a print, or even print a contact sheet with up to 35 images - all directly from the camera controls without a PC.
Is this true? That PictBridge on a canon printer only works with Canon camera? Or is it one of those advertising ploys to insinuate you should buy a Canon along with the printer?

:?

help.

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2006, 9:14 AM   #2

As far as I know PictBridge is universal. The Canon USA site says this for the MP600:

Click-Connect-Print: Just capture an image with a PictBridge-ready digital camera/dv camcorder, then connect and print!
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=13800

You can go to Product Information > Specifications and that statement isn't modified.

The printer appears to be the same as the iP4300. It is a good general purpose printer with a large black pigmented tank and decent photo quality.

The scanner leaves a lot to be desired IMO. To keep it skinny it uses CIS sensors rather than CCD. CIS isn't bad for flat single sheets of paper as long as you aren't in a big hurry. You can't scan anything with depth, but you would probably do that kind of thing with a digital camera anymore. It definitely isn't going to do a credible job with negatives and slides.

Unless you are pressed for desk space you would do better buying the components separately. Staples has had the iP4300 for the past few weeks for $70 after rebate. I don't know whether it is continued this week but you will probably find similar deals and you can get it for $79 and free shipping online. You can get a much better Epson V100 photo scanner for $86 plus shipping online.

My computer has a card reader but that gets used only occasionally to download photos from my camera phone. Otherwise I download directly from my cameras. Once the photos are on the computer there are much better ways to print. Scanners usually come with a copy utility that makes the scanner a copier and automatically prints it. There are plenty of free utilities to do that as well.

If one of the components craps out it is cheaper to replace a separate component. Or to upgrade your printer if you decide you need a dedicated 6-8 color photo printer. If you are space limited the MP600 will do a decent job for you as long as you don't have old negatives and slides you want to scan.

Off to the family Christmas. It is an odd Christmas that I'm not doing last minute wrapping or hosting the clan. Hope your holidays are great.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:55 AM   #3

Thanks for your help!

yeah the MP600 is a compromise over here. I'm in Europe where pretty much all techno stuff (cameras, computers, printers) is a good 20-30% more in price, and space in general (desk, house, parking) is 20-30% less. :lol: It's not fair, i tell you.

Luckily, my print/scanner needs are pretty much housewivey at this point - the scanner for instance is just to email my medical papers to my doctor/friend in Canada for advice, (I'm pregnant, don't speak good german so often get things double checked).

I am still looking around however. What sucks is i have a Epson multifunction but the print head is dead on it and is 150$ to replace. so you make an excellent point about buying them seperately because if I can't find someone to unload this one (like a place that would use it for parts, etc), a perfectly good scanner and card reader go into the landfill. :sad:

Have fun at the family christmas! I'm waiting for mine to come online so we can webcam some present opening with them.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 12:58 PM   #4

You know what? You may have convinced me. Although its kind of cumbersome, I think i will keep the defunct Epson in the back of my closet, for when I do need to do some crappy quick scans or copys and go for the ip4300....