Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:24 PM   #1

Default Can someone recommend a printer or suggest some to look at?

I am sorry about this generic question. But, I really would like some pro or experienced help. I am in the process of upgrading all my equipment, printer and software to produce excellent quality pictures. I have been printing pics out on my HP deskjet 932C and I have never been happy w/ the quality of picture. (Hence, the planned equipment overhaul) I am not a pro, just a mom who likes to take pictures and print out good pics of the kids. I have been digital for 3 years, but I have never been impressed w/ the quality of pictures, I still long for the crisp color and edges of my 35mm. I am trying to get there. I am hoping to get a 5 mp camera and now I need a good recommendation of a printer. I don't mind spending money for something quality that will last. Anyone... please help!
photo102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2003, 9:33 AM   #2

Default Take a look at the HiTi

Meander on down to the "Dye Sub. Printer" here on Steve's forums and read up on the HiTi printers. Steve even has a HiTi review:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...iti_640ps.html

Advantages are knock out quality pictures with long picture life, reasonable cost per print, and a nicely compact unit. You can even use the 640 without a computer - great for a party pixes where you may not want to (or can't) power up the big computer to print out some quick pix. About the only downside I see is it only prints 4x6 inches.

Happy shopping!

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 6:41 AM   #3

Photo102,

I use Canon printers, I'm sure someone else can suggest good Epson and HP alternatives. My recommendations are the Canon i950 or S820 (if you can find it). Both printers produce photo quality prints and also allow you to print very good text. A dye sub printer won't be suitable for printing text. Canon also includes excellent software with it's printers that make it easy to produce excellent photos.

Digital prints aren't made better by getting more mega pixels. You have to make sure you are properly processing the photos for printing after you take them. Most digital photos, especially the ones from bigger mega pixel cameras produce soft images that require sharpening in the computer to produce the best results.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2003, 6:32 AM   #4

Hi photo102,

I am sorry that your HP 932 does give good prints.

My HP 990 Cse produces superb such that my "senior
subjects" have remarked....

"J_____! Your photo shows all my wrinkles!"

I can print to 8 x 10 even with a crop with photos
from my Oly c2100uz.

HP prints do run if they become wet. My "fix" (every
pun intended) is to use archive sleeves available
at any office supply store.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:07 PM   #5

photo102, I was in the same position as you earlier this evening. I posted and asked for printer advise, and the Canon i950 was suggested. I've read loads of user reviews and all were just glowing. I've just ordered one from Newegg ($229 + $10 S&H). You'll find the i950 down the page in the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

Note that the 6 color tanks needed cost $55 each (ouch), but the shortest page life of one color was 250 pages, and the max was 750. I can't recall which colors.

Here is one page of reviews I found:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/Custrat...tem=28-102-116
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2003, 6:52 PM   #6

The Canon i950! I can't say enough about this work horse of a printer. Beautiful results.
TimHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:19 PM   #7

I posted my previous reponse back in July. Per Steve's suggestion, I bought the Canon i950 and I'm more than satisfied with it. My family album is now up to date, and I have 8 x 10's ready to frame.

I am buying OEM cartridges at $5 to $9 each, and not the $55 I read online at Canon site.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote