Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old May 14, 2007, 11:46 AM   #1

Hey people

Just a quick question regarding the above. I have virtually no experience in printing my photos and don't even own a printer. However I would really like tosend thefollowing shot off to be printed at A3.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=8

The shot was taken using a 6mp camera with camera RAW setting of 300dpi. Do youthink it would come out ok on A3?

It maybe worth mentioning that i also have the CS2 plugin by Alienskin called 'Blowup' which is supposed to be quite good at increasing resolution without too much noticeable loss in image quality.

Many thanks for your help!
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2007, 12:45 AM   #2

300ppi will give you the best print. The only problem is that you would need about 17.5 MP to give that to you at the A3 size!

Without any interpolation, you're looking at having to send a 171ppi file to the printer to get an A3 from your 6MP image. From really close up, the print won't be very sharp, but if you want to hang it on a wall in such a location that the average viewing distance is around three feet, it'll look "okay".

To really see what the deal is without wasting the money on several different full-sized versions, you could open the pic in Photoshop, set your resolution at about 171ppi (uncheck the Resample Image box) and make a small (5x7, 4x6, whatever) crop of an area of high detail and save that as a separate image. You can then take that to a local printing kiosk or print service and have that printed. Then look at the print at the same distance that you figure the full-sized picture will be viewed at and check out the detail. If the small crop looks "okay" to you, then the full-sized print will look okay too.

If you are dissatisfied with the look of the test print, then you can try out some of the interpolation techniques that CS2 offers -- including your Blow Up plug-in. Do the same thing with your interpolated test pics, taking a small crop from the full-sized image and do the full-sized print using the technique that gives you the results you want. In fact, doing a variety of test crops in the first place would take only one trip to the printer to find out what method gives you the best pic.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 1:35 AM   #3

Grant,

That's some really useful advice and i will certainly have a go. It may be however that i have set my sights a little high going for A3! How do you feel A4 would look as a compromise?
Old May 15, 2007, 8:55 AM   #4

matt i have mine blown up to 20x30 of a 8 meg camera 320 dpi and they are gorgeous, detail is amazing

ill pm u a link to a place i use, it tells u how good the print will be before u commit to having it done :-)

gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 9:32 AM   #5

thanks Gary, that's just what i wanted! Never printed one of my shots before!
Old May 15, 2007, 10:06 AM   #6

i got pronters mate but dont use them no more

if ur trying to sell work its not good enough to do them yourself at home, plus your limited to size u can print.

Gary

Old May 15, 2007, 10:09 AM   #7

If i was consistently producing amazing shots then i would invest in a printer but as i don't i don't think i would get my monies worth!
Old May 15, 2007, 10:18 AM   #8

large format printers are expensive to buy and run.

bulk orders from pro printers get much cheaper..........check out the prices for 5x and 20x for big prints........they dont have to be same image......i have stuff done in 5s makes profit better

Gary