Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:25 PM   #1

If I print a photo directly from my canon A710 the image is a true representation of what I captured. However, if I transfer the file to my pc and print the same photo it is noticeably darker. From a simplistic viewpoint I would imagine that as the camera saves in jpeg format and the same jpeg is transferred to my pc then the results should be the same. Unfortunately this is not the case. I understand that monitor brightness affects how the image looks on your monitor but not how it will subsequently print.

does anybody have any clues as to what I am missing? I dont want to have to manually adjust the brightness of every pic I print once transferred to my pc
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2007, 8:43 PM   #2

This is fairly common, and can have a number of causes. When you print from camera, the printer will use Print Image Matching. The printer reads info from the camera which tells it the brightness, contrast and color saturation levels to use. Some computer software, when you edit the photo, removes this information, and you then have to learn about color management. This is a source of grief for a lot of people who are just trying to get decent results.

If you use Adobe, you should have a utility called Adobe Gamma, which can be used to match your computer's monitor to your prints.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 2:26 AM   #3

thanks for the quick reply brian...It's 'good' to know that this is a common problem. I had a nasty feeling that I was going to have to do some colour management. Like you say, it is bit of effort just to get some decent prints!
jonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote