Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:14 AM   #1

I have pictures taken at 5 million pixels and saved on Photoshop at 300 dpi. when I go to my local printing booth the quality comes out dreadful. Any ideas? I am printing 8 x 5 inches.
bradaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:46 PM   #2

Open one of your original unaltered images in Photoshop. Select the crop tool and put 8 inches in the width box and 5 inches in the height (or the other way round). Put NOTHING in the resolution box. Crop the image and hit the Enter key. You now have an image cropped to the proper proportions and have kept all of the pixels you didn't crop off.

You can go Image > Image Size to see what PPI you ended up with, but I wouldn't change anything. If you took the largest crop you could from the image you will end up with over 300 PPI, but even 240 will give you a very nice print if you cropped more. There is no reason to change the PPI to an even number. The print spooler will take what you give it.

You will get a better print in most cases if you do some sharpening. An image that is sharpened properly for printing often looks a little oversharpened on the screen. For a conservative sharpening I would go Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. Start with Amount 50, Radius 2 and Threshold 0. If you already have a high sharpening set in your camera you might want to back off on the amount or even skip sharpening altogether.

You might want to also go Image > Adjustments > Auto Levels. If you don't like the results just go back a step in the history or Edit > Undo Auto Levels. If Auto Levels messes up your colors you could try Auto Contrast. If neither seem to do anything the image contrast is probably good for the print.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 2:03 PM   #3

bradaun wrote:
Quote:
I have pictures taken at 5 million pixels and saved on Photoshop at 300 dpi. when I go to my local printing booth the quality comes out dreadful. Any ideas? I am printing 8 x 5 inches.
This is not really enough information. More detail would be helpful.

What camera settings are you using? The quality setting can make a considerable difference. What is your procedure for saving at 300dpi? If you change the size to 8x5 first, you are throwing away about 90% of your picture. If you then change it to 300dpi, you will have a very small image, which the printer will try to make big again. What are the file sizes of the images you are printing?5MP images saved as jpeg will vary a lot, but will probably average around 2-3 Megabytes. If they are much less than 1 MB, your PS settings could be at fault.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote