Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1

Need some help on this.
Maybe you guys have had similar experiences.

I have a Nikon D50 which shoots JPGs at (3:2) 3008x2000 pix at 300dpi.

The last time I brought pictures to print at a local photoshop, I did the following:
- resized the images with 50% => 1504x1000 pix.
- add colored frame around the pictures.

When I got the pics back, I noticed that some of the frames were partially cut off.
When I asked why, they told me that the format of the files were not the same for 10x15cm (4x6).
So I showed them the other pics which borders were not cut off.
Nobody could give me a good explanation as to why some were cut off.

They told me that they could "fix" the problem, but that would mean they would have to do fit-in printing which would give me a small white border around my colored borders. So I was really furious and left.

I don't know what's wrong with these guys, but everytime I bring pics to print, it's the same story over and over.

They even told me that reducing the pics to 72dpi could also cause a certain shift in printing, which would result in chopping of the borders.
I can't even imagine it, because a reduction of 72dpi (as far as I know) would only result in degredation of the picture quality and not the formatsize per se.
So a 4x6 pic with 300dpi would have a better output image quality wise than one with 72dpi, right?

Have you guys have similar experiences??

bedde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:22 AM   #2

i suspect its because a 6x4 isnt actualy 6x4 its 100mm x 150mm they are 1/16th of an inch out and id guess they aling to top left corner??

well thats the case in england as i have just mesured a 6x4 to find they are actualy metric and not imperial

gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:02 PM   #3

Whenever you print borderless, whether at home, or have it done, the image is expanded somwhat, in order to ensure full coverage. The paper feeders have to have some tolerance for paper variations in order to feed reliably. Combine these situations, and you get prints which have some of the image left out. This is a fact of life.

If the printer you use is consistently off by a certain amount, you can compensate with a border around your print. Make up some test prints with borders of various sizes to see how much the printer leaves out, then compensate and apply the border needed to have your print all on the paper. Or take them up on printing with the white border, and either trim them yourself or learn to appreciate the border.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Administrator

bedde wrote:
Quote:
The last time I brought pictures to print at a local photoshop, I did the following:

When I got the pics back, I noticed that some of the frames were partially cut off.
When I asked why, they told me that the format of the files were not the same for 10x15cm (4x6).
They may be right. What was the size of the images in pixels *after* you added the colored frame around them?

You may have altered the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) of the image by doing that.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:10 AM   #5

VTphotog wrote:
Quote:

Or take them up on printing with the white border, and either trim them yourself or learn to appreciate the border.

brian
Hi VTphotog,
Thanks for your reply.

It's not that I don't appreciate the border.
To give you an idea of the pics I brought the last time to print: http://bedde.fotopic.net/c1344970.html.

As you can see, I added borders (colored ones too )to all of my pics.

An example: http://images1.fotopic.net/?iid=yosx...amp;quality=70

This one has a black border around it and also a blue one in it.

When I got the print, it was cut on the shorter ends of the pic almost to the blue border.

Yet the others were not cut off near the short end of the photo...

Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:14 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
bedde wrote:
Quote:

They may be right. What was the size of the images in pixels *after* you added the colored frame around them?

You may have altered the aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) of the image by doing that.
Hi JimC,
Thanks for you reply.

Images were resized to 50%, which resulted in 1000x1504 pix.
After adding the borders, it still remained at 1000x1504 pix.

To give an idea: http://bedde.fotopic.net/c1344970.html.

As you can see from the thumbnails, every one pic has the same size.

Also see my reply to Vphotog.

Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:20 AM   #7

none of your links to images work

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:17 AM   #8
Administrator

I see them (your link doesn't work but I went to your albums at http://bedde.fotopic.net/ and see that they're 1504 x 1000 pixels with the borders in place.

That's not exactly 3:2 (1500 x 1000 would be the exact aspect ratio). But, it should be close enough.

I'd find someone else to print them, especially if you've already shown them that some come out fine and some don't.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 11:38 AM   #9

You would probably have a better chance of the border coming out even if you cropped the images to a perfect 3:2 ratio. That isn't significant for normal prints, but your borders have to be even to look good.

I take it the downsize is to fit the images online. There isn't any reason to reduce the image size for printing as long as the ratio is correct.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 12:56 PM   #10

Reanimator wrote:
Quote:
none of your links to images work

Gary
Yes, you are right.

The url should read: http://bedde.fotopic.net/c1344970.html without the "." :-)