Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Sep 29, 2007, 4:39 PM   #1

I have dabbled in photography for a long time now & just last year I decided to enter some local fairs. I just got a call from one of the fairs saying that there's a man there who wants to buy one of my pictures. I've never done something like this before, so I really have no idea what I should do. If I print the picture & frame it for him, my husband tells me I should put a copyright stamp on the back to make sure he's using it for his personal use & not to reproduce it. How does an amateur do that? Will photo places who print the pictures do that for me?

Also, the fair woman told me that I should charge whatever it cost to produce the picture, plus my time & then double it. It is an 8x10 that would come out to somewhere around $75 including the frame, etc. That sounds like a lot. Is it?
[align=right][/align]
Cynister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2

I don't think that $75 for a nicely framed, matted 8x10 print is too much. Partly, it depends on the quality of the frame, and where you live. Also, what you think your time is worth.

As to putting a copyright stamp on the print, I don't, because of the possibility it may bleed through. If you just want to put it on the back of the frame or backing material, it shouldn't matter. You should be able to get a stamp made at a local office supply store. If someone wants to go to the trouble of disassembling a framed print to copy it, there isn't much you can do to stop it.

Copyrights can be registered, for a fee, with the Patent and Trademark office of the U.S. I would only do this for a once-in-a-lifetime shot, though. The creator of an image has a natural copyright to the image. As long as you retain the original, you should have no trouble proving it is yours. Whether it is worthwhile to try to do so in court, depends, of course on what it is worth to you. Most times, just letting the person know he has been caught will be enough to stop it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 6:02 AM   #3

brian

u dont need to register your pics

as i understand it any pic u take u automaticly own copywrite for 75 years after your death

stamp on rear should stop honest people copying but not dishonest !!

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:46 PM   #4

Gary is correct. I did say 'can be registered', but didn't emphasize that it isn't necessary, unless you have a real reason to do so. Ad agencies, for example, do it as a matter of course, as do some highly-paid professional photographers. Registration isn't necessary to protect your copyright, but in a legal battle, can be a deciding factor.

Bottom line is money. If you've got a million dollar shot, it makes sense to pay to protect it.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:11 PM   #5

too true mate if u do have that special shot

i was told recently about an artist who had some original paintings in a gallery (one of many) and couldnt understand why one gallery wasnt selling any, when he payed a visit he found out why.........they had made copies of his work and where selling them !!!

he managed to prosecute but will never know how many copies where actualy sold.

bottom line is everyone knows its wrong to use other peoples work and pass it of as your own for profit, but people will !

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote