Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Oct 11, 2007, 6:51 PM   #1

How can you convert a printer profile in PhotoShop Elements. I need to save the file with the profile embedded so that when I send it to the outside printer lab the file will print properly to their printer.

In PhotoShop CS this is easy, as there is a Convert to Profile feature that will alow you to do this. In Elements, only can covert from aRGB to sRGB. In Elements under Print command you can change to printer profile here, but it does not let you save file with this setting, only print. This is good if you have a profile for aspecial paper or ink set, but does not allow change to be printed to outside lab.

Dry Creek Photo has a conversion program, but it oly does tiff files. This would mean I would have to covert my jpeg file to tiff, save as, then open file in convet program, convert, save. A lot work for asimple thing to do.

Any help?

Thank you
specifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:33 PM   #2

Anyone? Any thoughts? :?

Thank you
Old Oct 13, 2007, 2:02 PM   #3

Since you have a method to do what you need, I can't really advise anything easier, but I am very curious as to why you need to do the conversion in the first place. Any lab worth the name should be able to print from a photo with an embedded profile, such as sRGB or aRGB. I would hold out for some big discount if I had to do their work for them.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:16 PM   #4

If I am thinking this out correctly, the conversion of the sRGB file to an outside printers profile is the same thing you do when you are printing in house with your printer. In PhotoShop, in the printing dialog, under Color Handling, if you are using your printer manufacturer's paper and ink, you would then select the option for "Let Printer Determine Colors" and do a setup in the printer driver telling it what kind of paper, size, gloss level expected, etc.. If youare using a paper or ink set that is not of the manufacturer of your printer, you than select option "Let PhotoShop Determine Colors" and additionally have to choose a printer profile to tell the printer information that is different than that which the printer would send. When you use other than your printer manufacturer's paper and/or ink, the printer manufacturer's printer setup will not give the desired results. This is why you profile your printer to the nonstandard items. Since I am sending the file out for printing, I have to make the file incorporate the color information, as the outside printer does not know the editing program's intent.