Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Oct 24, 2007, 9:08 PM   #1

My monitor is calibrated with EyeOne Display 2 (3.1) and printer with PrintFix Pro (2.1). Prints made with Canon i960 look great and are very sharp in detail. Colors match screen very well.

When I send a print file in sRGB with profile converted to Costco (Dry Creek latest version for Noritsu 3101 printer), the print comes back darker (about 10%?) and also is noticeably less sharp. Instructed Costco for "No enhancements" of any kind. There were none made, as indicated on the backside of the print..

I then had a test chart print made with the Costco printer and used PrintFix Pro to read the chart and make my own profile for this printer. Again, when a file was sent to the Costco printer, the print still came out to dark. Same as before.

What is going on? How can I get my files to print properly from Costco?

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Specifier

specifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2007, 1:20 PM   #2

When you sent Costco the test chart, had you adjusted anything, or converted the profile beforehand?

My preferred method would be to send them a sRGB file with no adjustments or conversions whatever, first, and work from that.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 8:11 PM   #3

Actually, sent them two photos: one straight sRGB with no conversions and one with Costco's printer profile conversion. Both were darker and less sharp than the same file printed with QImage on a Canon i960 printer (that was profiled with PrintFix Pro 2.6.1).

The test chart is a standard 225 panel printer test chart, not anything I created, so its not contaminated by anything I would create or adjust.

Specifier

specifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:40 PM   #4

If you used the straight sRGB photo to create your profile, and it still came back too dark, I can't think of much else to do. Costco may somehow be auto compensating for density, despite the indication of no adjustments. The only other thing I can think of is that the difference in paper types between them and your printer, along with the light you use to view the prints, is making them look darker, but that wouldn't account for lack of sharpness.

Maybe Costco just isn't going to work for you. Have you tried another printing house, such as WHCC, or Adorama?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:43 PM   #5

Thanks Brian

I am using a 5000K color corrected light to view the pictures. Even though I am using a different paper for printing, there still should not be that much difference in what the two devices show. Both papers appear to be about the same whiteness and gloss level. Then again, the sharpness issue.
:?

Maybe I will try a different lab and see what happens. Shame though since this Costco location is very convenient and the price is right.

specifier
Gritty is offline   Reply With Quote