Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:33 AM   #1

chithravelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:50 PM   #2

I see no one has replied yet, maybe because your question is too general. Color matching can be done with most any photo editing software, but requires a bit of knowledge of color management in general.

The problem in matching prints to what you see on your monitor can be caused in a number of places along the line. The generally accepted method is to first, calibrate the monitor to a standard. This is usually done with a colorimeter device. Next step is to find the correct color management settings for your combination of printer and editing software. Once this is done, the very last step, and last resort, is to adjust your printer settings. It isn't rocket science, but it does tend to confuse quite a few rocket scientists.

The reason for all this, is to be able, theoretically, to print the same picture on any printer, and get the same (correct) colors. If you simply want to have your prints, on your printer only, match the colors on your monitor, only, you can use the shortcut of matching your monitor to your prints by using a utility such as Adobe Gamma. This May have the result of causing colors of everything else to look incorrect on your monitor.

I found that using a program that supports Print Image Matching ( Ulead Photo Explorer is the one I use for this) gives correct pints. (Needs to be done with a jpeg image straight from the camera) From there, it was not a problem to adjust my monitor settings slightly to match the printer's output. YMMV

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote