Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:23 AM   #1

What software do you recommend to enlarge your photos for printing. Say I have a standard photo from a 10mp camera but I want to print a photo around 24-36 inches, what would you use for that?

Thanks
firstascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2008, 1:55 PM   #2

assuming you have a printer that can do it, then you can print direct from windows picture viewer by changing custom size

a 10 mp should be ok if camera was set to super fine, i print that big from my 8mp

remember bigger pictures are supposed to look better from a distance not close up, if your not happy with results and you have photoshop there are a few plugins, alien skin blow up, and genuine fractles that do a great job in enlarging

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:41 PM   #3

thanks! I don't have a printer that will print that large but I just wanted to be able to take my digital images somewhere to get them printed that large if I wanted to. I will have to do some testing but it sounds like they will be large enough.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:59 AM   #4

they should have the software needed anyway to upsize if its needed

they trouble is that big prints are pricey thats why i bought my own printer :-)

Gary
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:58 PM   #5

yeah I've thought about getting my own printer that will handle large prints but I'm not sure how much I would use it. Which printer do you have and how do you like it?
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:09 PM   #6

i have an hp designjet 130, and it had a very light life, thats why i bought it, i can get ink carts for about £5 ($10) with a short date on ebay, compared with £40 ($80) new price each.

a roll of matt coated anti cockle paper 24 inch wide is about £13 and you can just simply cut it to any size and tell printer to print to that size.

i love it because if im not happy with result i can re edit and reprint, for the cost of ink.

if your printing big you dont want gloss as it will wrinkle behind glass, the matt paper looks great behind glass.

the printer was £450 it as paid for itself a few times over now as i print posters for a couple of local pubs (bars) and it will do canvas nicely too

Gary
Old Aug 19, 2008, 1:23 PM   #7

my printer is an HP designjet 100plus that prints 24 inch wide, it had light use by an architect and was £450 of ebay,its nothing like the small £100 home printer, its as ink levels and head wear on the lcd, and heads are easy to replace and are cheap on ebay, as is the ink, £5 a cart ($10) for short date carts as opposed to £40 from shop.

matt paper on a roll 24 inch wide is £14 and about 30 meters long, itll also do canvas, my printer as paid for itself several times over, a 24x36 print costs £20 to £30 so i did my maths and decided it was worth buying.

its hard to make money out of pictures as im sure your well aware so keeping raw cost in your control is the key, it helps me having sourced a really good trade price frame makertoo

Gary
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:32 PM   #8

Large printers still come up from time to time on Ebay Link
problem can be delivery though............:|............musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:10 PM   #9

thats a very very good price if amount of prints is true, mine had done only 300, which is nothing to these machines.

they link back to hps website so its easy to tell history of them, as it tells how many prints, head, ink its used in its life along with any errors etc

they dont do smaller prints as good an the new epsons though........hence i bought a epson 1400 a3 printer for a job i got of 25 a3 framed prints.

but poster size and canvas look great :-)

Gary
Old Aug 10, 2009, 1:46 PM   #10

If you don't want to buy a large format printer you can always try outsourcing to a company like CanvasPop. They specializes in printing photo enlargements. It is a good option when you do not know how much you would use a large format printer.
will0385 is offline   Reply With Quote