Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Dec 27, 2008, 5:14 PM   #1

hi

just became the owner of a nikon d60 with 18-55 and a 70-300 lens and having great fun

have a pretty standard hp 4580 and have printed of some pictures with variable results

i have a budget of up to £350 and wanted to know whats the best photo printer to buy to get the best picturequality results and also whats the best paper to use

cheers jonny
jonnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2008, 9:31 PM   #2

You realize, of course, that there is no single answer to either the printer or paper question? Much depends on what size and kind of prints you want to make.

I use an Epson R1800 (replaced by R1900 now), which in my and others' opinions, produces spectacular color glossy prints at up to 13" wide. It is by far not the best for B&W, or printing on some matte papers.

Take some time to think about what you are going to want to print, and check out reviews and user feedback on models that interest you. If you need more advice, there are quite a few of us who are happy to help.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:07 AM   #3

hi brian

thanks for the reply

i have read a few reviews on the r1900 ill take another look

i will be printing mostly family pictures and some outdoor once i get the hang of the settings, quite keen to do some sporting pictures as well

cheers jonny
Old Dec 28, 2008, 1:04 PM   #4

i have had a dig around and looked at the epson r1900 but dont think i will be printing a3 size

i went to a local pc place and the best picture printer they had was a canon mp620 with print res of 9600 x 2400 dpi

has anyone used this to good effect?

cheers
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:34 PM   #5

I see no one has jumped in to advise on the Canon. I don't know much about them, other than some older models. Don't get too caught up in the DPI numbers though. They don't really tell you much about the resolution the printer is capable of. The mfrs use the printer's basic resolution times the number of nozzles to get that number. In most cases, the actual printer resolution is 300 or 600 DPI.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote