Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:34 PM   #1

Default What Size for Digital Prints?

I want to print some photos at Target, they had a .15 coupon deal on 20 pics. What size/aspect ratio should I give them for the best results. Appreciate any ideas.

Rob
robertw477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2003, 9:07 AM   #2
kex

300 dpi (dots per inch) should be a good quality.

I let some photos be printed at 15x10cm (~ 6x4 inch)
They look really fine! Can't see anything wrong with the pics.

Oh, by the way: I used my Canon A60 (2 MP)
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:46 AM   #3

The megapixel number for your camera will determine the maximum size print without losing quality. A 2 megapixel image is good for 4x6 or possibly 5x7 maximum. A 4 megapixel image can be enlarged to 8x10 without loss of quality. 6 megapixel can be enlarged to 11x14.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:26 PM   #4

Actually....DPI (dots per inch) is a printer function- how many dots an inkject printer will lay down, which has nothing to do with traditional prints from Target since they print on paper with dyes.

The number (300) is right for a high photo quality print, but the measurement is PPI (Pixels Per Inch) when it comes to determining how big your file has to be to be printed a certain size. Once I start printing above 8x10 the number I shoot for drops down to as small as 200 PPI for a print 11x14 to be acceptable for me, but that is a matter of taste. Once you start getting below about 180 Pixels Per Inch for 8x10 or smaller prints the quality starts dropping.

Check your instruction manual for size image file your camera produces. As an example, a 6 megapixel SLR produces an image of approximately 3000x2000. Using the 300 PPI quality ratio you divide both numbers by 300 and see the biggest quality print you can make and keep the 300PPI ratio is 10x6 inches. At 11x14 you are down to around 200 PPI (214 PPI on the long side, 181 PPI on the short side). I have printed many 11x14's from files created with my Digital Rebel that look great at this rating.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote