Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:34 AM   #1

Default Printing after editing in PSP7

Hello all
Never printed digital images before so please bear with me!

I wonder if someone can help me. After editing images in PSP7 I copy the images back to my CF card and take them along to my local photo processing store where I can insert the CF card into a machine and send the files off to print.

My problem is this....once edited in PSP7 and copied back to the media card, the photo machine says that my CF card is empty. But it isn't!

If I take another CF card that only has images straight out of the camera (Canon A70 - image size: 2048x1536 Large/Superfine mode) the photo machine reads these images fine. Surely these images will be too big to fit on the 6"x4" print that I am after.

The problem is, I wanted to crop/resize images in PSP7 and adjust colouring and so on before printing.

Any ideas on what I should be doing so that my edited images can be read on my CF card.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Matt
Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:15 AM   #2

Only thing I can think of offhand is that you're saving the file in a format unfamiliar to the print reader (like PSD instead of jpg). Have you checked that the pictures are indeed on the card and that they are JPGs after you copy them back?

The printer should resize the 2048X1536 (pixels) to fit the 6x4 (inches) without a problem. Cropping is another factor. If the printer process doesn't give you that option, you have to crop externally (like you're doing).
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply ohenry.
I can confirm that the files are 100% JPG saved in PSP7 and not the native PSP7 PSD files....
:?
Maff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:46 AM   #4

Is it possible the kosik printer needs the EXIF info the cameras put in the images? PS does not keep this data in images it saves.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 2:33 AM   #5

The readers don't need the EXIF info. I've taken edited pictures with whatever filename I choose and they read it. It could be a busted reader. If your seeing the files then I'd try another machine. To be on the safe side, don't make all these folders. It could be that the readers for whatever reason will not look past the root directory.
Juice_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 3:34 PM   #6

I'd suggest cutting your pictures onto a CD instead of using your memory card. Get a stack of 100 CDs with no brand or "Joe's Bait Shop" brand on special for a couple of bucks - it doesn't really matter if one fails since you can just cut another. That will save wear & tear on your memory card and solve any issue about writing to it.

I haven't had any luck with the R/W CDs, but that is worth a try as well. Perhaps your processor can read them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
If I take another CF card that only has images straight out of the camera (Canon A70 - image size: 2048x1536 Large/Superfine mode) the photo machine reads these images fine. Surely these images will be too big to fit on the 6"x4" print that I am after.

The problem is, I wanted to crop/resize images in PSP7 and adjust colouring and so on before printing.
The printer equipment will take images much larger than that and print a 4 X 6 from them. It takes what pixels it needs and discards the rest. Donít reduce the pixels when you process in PSP other than remove the pixels you crop off. You will get better quality prints if you donít resize. The photo equipment has to resample regardless of the PPI you send it and there is no reason to resample in PSP also.

You donít say whether you are using a reader or putting the images back directly to the camera through USB. If you are using a reader try formatting the card in the computer Ė right click on the reader drive letter and select format. I have no idea why that would help but it is worth a try. If you are using the camera only you might try formatting the card from Windows also.

I guess you probably donít get free after rebate or $10/100 CDs in the UK. Iíve never had problems with RW through several burners and computers. Might be worth a try if you have a burner.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
To be on the safe side, don't make all these folders. It could be that the readers for whatever reason will not look past the root directory.
I think Juice_22 is on the money here. I experienced the same thing essentially. I deleted everything from my card, using my camera, yet a few photos that I had sent to the card from the computer remained on the card...in a separate folder. I think the root directory is all that's being read in the above situation.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:34 AM   #9

Default Re: Printing after editing in PSP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maff
.once edited in PSP7 and copied back to the media card, the photo machine says that my CF card is empty. But it isn't!
I've heard of the converse problem, where people have got duplicate copies of all their prints, because the camera made a 640x480 copy of the lot in a subfolder called 'Preview', which it used for slide shows & its own LCD display.

Why don't you invest in a spare card (~25ukpounds for 128MB) which you leave completely clean except as a 'film' to give your printer, and which you carry as spare storage for the camera in case you ever need it?

My local camera shop (www.wrexcam.com) is knowledgeable about these issues, and offers a 'prints from your card' service. Perhaps your own local shop knows about it as well, or you could try ringing Mike at Wrexham cameras. He sees photoprints cheaply from the camera card as the future of mass digital camera use, and will be interested in any problems that people run into.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote