Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:57 AM   #1

Default Help sizing pictures to print 8x10

I have a couple of raw tif picture files that need to be converted to jpeg, and then printed to 8x10 with no borders. I do need the best image quality.

I have Lightroom 3 and Photoshop. Whenever I need to convert files to jpeg I use Lightroom, but it is the sizing them to 8x10 that's my question. Is there a way to size them without cropping and if so, what size do I use? I don't have a clue what size to even start with.

The image sizes are 4749x3167 at 240dpi and 3144x4728 at 240dpi.

Any help would be appreciated.
Logansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:48 PM   #2

G'day LD

The simplest way is just leave them as they are [as the jpg image] and let the printer print it as best it can ~ it will take whatever pixels it receives and via its internal software, print the image onto whatever paper is available

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2011, 2:12 PM   #3

You'll get other responses but let's first state that the dpi you're associating with the images has no meaning. dpi only counts on the paper. so, you need 8x10 aspect ratio. you'll have to crop. it's better you crop than just allow the print process to pick whatever it wants (maybe the middle, maybe the side, maybe it'll stretch-to-fit).

presuming you'll print the first one with the 10 inches being the long side, the 8 side should be cropped to 3800 pixels. the print software will then have the approx correct aspect ratio and will resize as it likes. ok? (i'm leaving out as i don't understand it too well the idea that maybe dimensions should be on16 bit boundaries. i doubt if it matters if a few pixels get tossed away).
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:39 PM   #4

Are the pictures Raw or .tif? Raw would need conversion, but a .tif can be printed directly - you don't have to convert to .jpeg.

For printing to a different aspect ratio, you will need to crop the photo. In order to retain the most resolution, you need to do a little math (not difficult, though). Assuming your camera is a 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio and you are printing to a 4:5 a/r print, first divide the number of pixels on the short side of the picture by 4. Multiply that result by 5, and you have the pixel dimension that you have to crop the long side to.
As Frank says, forget DPI numbers - just print the cropped file, selecting 'fit to paper' (or whatever your printer equivalent is) in the print dialog, and the printer driver will adjust the DPI to whatever it needs.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote