Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:01 PM   #1

Default Printable CDs

I bought a CD printer and some printable CDs. I was shocked when the print smudged when touched with sweaty fingers after 3 days. Not my finger, of course. (^J^)

I read about a product to 'fix' the print. Ordered from a supplier online, but they had run out, and now can't find it elsewhere. Dont even know it works.

What has been the experience of other users of CD printers. I've bought a batch of white CD labels for back-up, but would really rather print directly onto the CD - especially as I have the darn printer - Epsom Stylus R300.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:59 PM   #2

Are you using Ink Jet Printable CDs?
Are you using Epson factory ink cartridges with Epson factory ink?

I once read that knockoff inkjet cartridges are such big business that they even found their way onto “reputable” office supply store shelves.

If you have Ink Jet Printable CDs, take one with you to the store where you got your printer and have them do a test print with the demo printer (new factory ink) and that way you will know if you have an “ink” problem (your ink) or a “media” problem.

Good Luck
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:08 PM   #3

PK, I'm still using the inks which came with the CD printer - originals. I bought it online, so would cost me a plane ticket to go visit.

I didn't think about smudging until I read about it online. The test proved the smudging - three days after printing.

I wouldn't be bothered with it, but I sell my CD, and smudging isn't too professional.

I have 3 color printers, and wouldn't dream of buying anything but ink cartridges from the original manufacturer.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetKP
I wouldn't be bothered with it, but I sell my CD, and smudging isn't too professional.
I agree, if I bought a CD from you I wouldn't appreciate it being smudged either. Maybe use your labels for this batch and try a different CD manufacturer next time.

Try listing the CD manufacturer and maybe someone else will have experience with them. If I was you I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of applying a fixer over the CD for fear of "fixing" the data and rendering it unreadable. :shock:

I looked at the Epson website and they do not list a specific CD brand that works but just say any “ink jet printable”.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:24 PM   #5

Reading the CD info: 'Professional Grade Media'.
Item # CD-032-00002.

discmarket.com
Old Jun 27, 2004, 3:11 AM   #6

:homey: Hi

I understand that Direct CD printable discs have a different surface to ordinary white discs. I have a new Canon i9950 which prints direct to disc and using Samsung 52x printable discs and Canon original ink ( available here in the UK at 25p each ) I get perfect results. The discs are dry to touch within seconds and there is no smudge.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 9:32 AM   #7

Stop in Wal-Mart and get some of their 99c clear spray paint. Make sure the CD is on a perfectly flat surface and don't push the button with the spray pointed directly at the CD unless you want the hassle of a thick clear coat. Just sweep across the CD from about 18 inches in both directions from directly above it. It will dry fairly quickly with a nice slightly roughened appearance and will prevent smudges. It should also make the colors look more saturated.

I don't have a CD printer but use the clear spray for lots of graphics projects. I buy them 3 or 4 at a time and find all kinds of uses. I printed with a washable marker on a CD and used the spray and it fixed it fine.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:01 AM   #8

You need to buy some professional spray to protect your CDs. CDs without a coating are likely to smudge.
magellanhardware.co.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:52 AM   #9
wrb

As has been stated try some different types of media. Discs are known to have different saturation rates from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some will absorb more ink, some will not. I have found that if more ink is absorbed they dry quicker and will only smudge with a proper wet finger, not just a sweaty one.
wrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:58 PM   #10

Hi,

We don't have Walmart in New York City. If I go to a hardware store or art supply store, what should I ask for that could help prevent smudging of ink-jet printable CDs.

Thanks!!!
GuyinNew YorkCity is offline   Reply With Quote