Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Sep 1, 2004, 11:49 AM   #1

I just purchased an Epson Stylus Photo 2200, and will use it to print digital photos from my Dell 5150. I know I want a Spyder for display calibration, but what about the Spyder Pro Suite, which includes ProfilerPLUS for creating a printer profile.

Sounds very cool, but is it necessary? I do have Photoshop, so that isn't an issue.

Thanks for any help
jmunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 6:50 PM   #2

I had my Spyder2 arrive last Friday after deciding to go for that rather than the more expensive Pro version.

The Spyder is the same I believe, but the software is different, with the pro version having more control. Whether you need it or not is another matter. I think it's labelled 'pro' for a valid reason (most of it went over my head when I read the review LOL

I read up a bit on printer profiling and the general consensus was that it's not worth bothering with the cheap options. They generally involve using a flatbed scanner. The good options use a dedicated spectrometer scanning thingy and run very expensive indeed. Very.

I've just ordered a couple of custom profiles from colourprofiles.com for about £35 each. Not cheap, but you can pay a hell of a lot more. If you have dozens or different ink/paper combinations perhaps you need your own profiling system, but ordering individual ones suits me better. They seem a good investment.

*btw the spyder has made a big difference to the display on my Mitsubishi monitor. At first it looked too 'pink' but my eyes have got used to it now and it looks much better. it works well.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote