Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:41 AM   #1

Hi all
I was thinking of purchasing a photo printer, I basically want to do 4x6's 5x7 and 8x10's. I work all digital and have seen some printers that print onto CD's also. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!! What brand? Any particular model?

my webpage www.IT-world.co.uk comments appreciated
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:16 PM   #2

I'm very pleased with my Canon !960....it doesn't print on CD's though. If I were to buy again, I think I'd go with a wider carraige printer so I could print larger than 8X10's
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:35 PM   #3

Since you are apparently in the UK (based on your web address). Both Canon and Epson will do what you want. In the US, Canon does not support CD printing.

Canon has the new ip8500coming soon that has does the best photos right now. It also will do doublesided printing up to 8x10. Thats the top of the heap. The only better one is the i9900 that adds wide format printing to the mix (but does not directly do doublesided).

Other Canonsthat are great printers are i965 (Selling out because of it being replaced). The new iP5000 is a wildcard that will be interesting to see when it gets reviewed. If you want the printer to be your everyday printer also then the iP4000 (i865) and iP5000 should be on your list they print text cheaper so they work as a great day to day printer.

Epson has a great line right now with the R200/300 being cheap and nice. But once you use a Canon the speed will be something you will miss with the Epsons.

I have the following:

Canon i860 Text and fast printing (cards etc)
Epson R200 CD Printing
Canon i9900 Dedicated for photos

I will be replacing the i860 with the iP5000 in the near future.

Both Epson and Canon printers make great prints so you won't be disappointed by either one.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:51 PM   #4

Yes the Canon speed will blow you and the Epson away

It's also a bunch cheaper to operate
colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:34 PM   #5

Yep, the Canons are fast if you need fast, their image quality isexcellent too :-).

The output quality you getdoes seem to depend on the input though. I was at a Digital Imagingshow near Torontoon Friday and Epson was showing off samples printed on their 4000 and 2200 printers.The input was from aM/F camerawith a leaf valeo 22 back, ..sigh..The printstonal range, depth and detail completely blew awaywhat I get with my 6mp cameras capability.

colasteve

Why do you say the Canon is cheaper to operate than the Epsons?

Both printers carts seem to be selling for 19.95$cdn per color at Henrys

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote