Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:24 AM   #1

I'm just starting to print from my D70 on my i9900, the question I have is I'm trying to print to put in a standard size frame, and changing the size in the page setup dialog box checking "Size to Media" doesn't appear to give me a size that I can buy a frame for. I'm shooting for an 8x10, 8.5 x 11, somewhere in that area. Do I have to crop everything I want to frame, or is there a formula I need to know? Forgive me for sounding stupid, but My old Dimage 7i printed right to anf 8.5 x 11.
Thanks,
Todd
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:05 AM   #2

Not a stupid question but one asked a lot. The D70 (and a lot of cameras)have the same format as a 35mm slide (3:2) 4x6 is a standard picture size and can be printed directly. But the other "standards" don't really relate..

Your options are:
1) Don't try and make them borderless .. embrace the white background :-).
add a piece of cardboard to the picture and you have a dry mounted original.
2) Crop
3) Photoshop creativity..for example, clone more grass or sky to make the picture an even ratio.

Welcome to the big time. The 35mm guys have needed to make these decisions for a long time. But many people didn't know it because the developer was doing the cropping for them.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:27 PM   #3

CastleDude, can you please clarify somerthing for me. I was thinking of getting the i9900. Right now I'm using a HP 932. When I choose to print from Element's 3, I can choose all the standard size's. Will I still be able to do that with the i9900. I would think so since it's the photo shop telling the printer what size. Thought I better double check though. Thank's, Cal
Quick Cal is offline   Reply With Quote