Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:47 AM   #1

I just had my Hp 7660 ink cartridges re inked and even though it's printing fine the ink levels on the printing programme register near empty, is there some sort of chip in these that say when it isemptied the first time it will now always show empty even if it has been refilled???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:52 AM   #2
NHL

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
... is there some sort of chip in these that say when it is emptied the first time it will now always show empty even if it has been refilled???
Yeap! Epson started this trend... and now everyone follows
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 7:56 AM   #3

thats really annoying:?:sad:
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:53 AM   #4

I knew Epson had done that, I didn't know HP followed suit. Makes one want to run the older printers til there's nothing left. I looked into this about 3 years ago andthe way Epson was doing it was that each cartridge had a serial# and the printer would record it so that it would onlyuse a cartridge once.IIRC, certain Epsons just plain wouldn't print with a refilled cartridge. At that time there were devices available to reset the printer memory so it forgets that it has seen a particular cartridge before, but they weren't cheap.It would take a while to pay off.
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:46 PM   #5

You may want to consider looking into Canon printers. They are about half the cost to run. If you bought a new printer you would probably pay it off by the time you needed a second set of cartridges compared to HP or Epson or Lexmark. Also, Canon uses a prism built into their clear ink cartridges to sense that the ink is low. They also print two to three times faster than the others.
colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:30 AM   #6

My Canon just died and ive only just got this printer and I also have found that this printer has been the best one so far, Ive had lexmart, epson and canon and none have matched this one, I love it.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 1:58 AM   #7

I had heard that the printer remembered only the last two or three serial numbers. So you save up a pile of dead cartridges, and then when you refill your current one, you cycle three of the dead ones through it before re-installing the refilled one. I just got a new (refurbished) HP 7760, and I am hoping this method still works.
segbert is offline   Reply With Quote