Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:35 PM   #1

My mother in law found this glossy photo paper at dollarama in Canada. I decided to give it a shot. It prints like crap (no offence to my mother in law-she's the best). I printed a 4X6 taken with my D70 using photoshop. I set my Canon printer to glossy photo paper and fine mode. Printed on a piece of the cheap stuff, then the Canon paper then some Kodak paper. The cheap Likon paper showed steaking in the dark areas and the colour came out a bit cool. The Kodak printed almost the same as the Canon paper except that the black seems to shine a bit more when you hold the picture on a bit of an angle. Canon 10/10, Kodak 9/10, Likon 5/10. I will probably buy some more although for printing stuff for work like machinery photos, etc. It's better than plain.

Left is the Likon scan, right is the Canon scan reversed.

Note: this was just a small portion of the photo.

Attached Images

colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2004, 9:40 PM   #2

Zoom of the dark area
Attached Images

colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 12:19 PM   #3

I have tried the LIKON Photo Paper from Dollar Rama and it's "fantastic" and at $1.00 for 10 sheets it a terrific bargan! I also purchased some of the 4x6 sheets and printed directly from mycamera (Fuji D-550) through the printer (HP Photosmart 7760) with great results. I've been printing my own photos for many years and remember the days when we were paying $1.50 a sheet for the glossy stuff. This is an incredible paper, and I recommend without hesitation.Check at the dollar store in your area, this paper is great.
Daniel Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 10:56 AM   #4

This paper is not compatible with the Canon photo black ink.

I used "Other photo paper" and I got something not bad but it's not Canon Professional paper.

So for the price I think this a good paper.

6/10 for Likon glossy photo paper
Jonathan Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 3:26 AM   #5

Before I bought my dye-sub printer, I always used Pictorico Premium Photo Glossy paper because it produced not only vibrant prints, but they were relatively water resistant. That was important because the product I make (photo cutouts) is frequently exposed to sticky fingers.

Now, with my dye-sub, the cutouts are plastic coated!

Al
photocutouts.com
cutupguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:17 PM   #6

bad news...

Likon has changed their paper...

it's now less glossy, a different shade of white, and is a heavier card-stock. My printer isn't pulling in the paper as easily as it used to, and is scratching my prints as it prints them off.

I used the Likon brand for years with excellent results.

The prints are now *much* less vibrant and less sharp- a huge drop in performance.

I'm not sure why they changed their paper?

Anyways, does anyone have any other suggestions as what paper to use nowadays that Likon has gone under?

Booley is offline   Reply With Quote