Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Oct 27, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1

OK, how do i go about printing photos?? . Ive taken the photos with a digital camera, there hi res i.e 2048x1536, i have bought some Fujifilm Premium Inkjet Pater(glossy), Its there highest quality paper.Now the problem i am having is the paper is photo size 6"x4", i run a test print but theres a white border around the image about 1cm all round except the right side which is between 1.5 and 2cm.Also the colours look off, as if theres a white haz over it, there aint on the original photo.

Anyone know how to print these properly or know of a guide....?? i have photoshop cs 8.
Jedi Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:29 AM   #2

You need to give a little more information:

What printer are you using
What Operating system
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:28 PM   #3
Administrator

You're going to need to crop the photo to the correct aspect ratio (ratio of width to height) to match a 4x6" print size. Otherwise, it won't fit properly on a the paper.

So, your photo will need to be cropped to about 2048 x 1365 (if you're a pixel off, you'll be close enough).

Each print size will have a different ratio of width to height.

I'm not a Photoshop user, so I don't know if there is an easy way to do this with Photoshop or not. Some editors have a crop box that you can set to a desired print size (and it maintains the correct aspect ratio for the print size you want to print at to make it easier to crop without calculating the pixel dimensions needed).

I can tell you that you'll need to crop your 2048 x 1536 to a 2048 x 1365 pixel imagefor the correct ratio for a 4x6" print though.

You probably also need to check a property somewhere in your Printer Dialog box (printer properties) for borderless prints if your printer supports them. It's probably hidden under a tab somewhere. Once these two things are done, you should get a borderless 4x6" print.

As far as the print quality, that's also something that's settable in your printer. Most printers have draft, normal, and high quality modes. This may or may not be your quality problem.

Many printers are somewhat "finnicky" on paper type (for example, Kodak paper may not have accurate colors in a Canon printer). You can sometimes profile your printer for different papers and get it close, though. I'd pick the paper type that's closest to what you bought in your printer properties (most have settable parameters for the paper type used).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 9:35 AM   #4

Im using XP and have a HP Deskjet 940C.I dont think it has a egde to edge printing option or if it does i cant find it.The cropping part i know about as i have read that somewhere else.But the camera has a image size which is 3:2 ( 2592x1536 Res), the manul says that this option records the image in the same 3:2 AR as photograph printing paper and postcards.Now i took a photo in this mode and opened it in photoshop cs 8 and under print with peview, paper size set correct 6x4(printer has it the other way round but its still the same thing)then under the print option in PS with scale to fit ticked the preview still shows a white border.The 3:2 image gives tha same size border as a cropped image does.Under scale to fit it has the hight at 3.5" and the width at 5.25", if i change these to 4 and 6 so the priview shows no boarders when i try and print i get a message saying ' the image is larger than the printable area,some clipping will occur'.

Im and getting a bad feeling that this is down to my printer not being able to do edge to edge printing , well at least i think it cant.

Whe i mentioned the colour, the picture quality is great, its just the colours on the printed image dont seem as vibrant as the jpg or as vibrant as some photos j have had developed(before i had a digital cam)
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:44 AM   #5
Administrator

Jedi Master wrote:
Quote:
Im using XP and have a HP Deskjet 940C.I dont think it has a egde to edge printing option or if it does i cant find it.The cropping part i know about as i have read that somewhere else.But the camera has a image size which is 3:2 ( 2592x1536 Res), the manul says that this option records the image in the same 3:2 AR as photograph printing paper and postcards.
Ok -- this is not right (2592 x 1536). I've never heard of a camera with this image size (it's not 4:3, and it's not 3:2).

You originally said that you had high resolution images of 2048 x 1536 (not 2592 x 1536).

What camera do you have? Some of the Canons have a postcard mode that blocks some of the display, so that you only see the 3:2 part of the image when shooting. But, it does notactually shoot in 3:2 Aspect Ratio mode. The 3 Megapixel Models still produce an image size of 2048 x 1536 (4:3 aspect ratio), regardless of whether or not you are shooting in the mode designed for 4x6" prints or postcards.

The idea is that when sending for prints, most services will crop for you so that you get the photos back the way they appeared in the LCD display.

Quote:
Im and getting a bad feeling that this is down to my printer not being able to do edge to edge printing , well at least i think it cant.
It may not be able to print borderless. However, you'll probably still want to crop the image for printing (to keep the borders even, and to make sure it's not cutting off part of the image that you don't want to be cut off). Cropping yourself gives you more control. Selecting a print size and previewing the image is NOT the same as cropping.

Many editors can crop a photo to the correct aspect ratio for printing. I don't use Photoshop, but I'm sure it can do this. The Marquee tool has an option for a Fixed Aspect Ratio. See this tutorial on cropping:

http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorial/crop/2/

You may also want to use the HP Photo Printing Software thatshipped with your printer. The HP specs show that it was included:

http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.s...et/c6431b.html

It has templates for printing that you can drag and drop photos into. Then, you can simply "grab" a photo with the mouse (click and hold the left mouse buttonon the photo after it's in the template), and move it around so that it's printing the desired portion of the image (this part is not obvious, but try it and you'll see how it works).

I've used this software often, so that I can fill a page with images of varying sizes. Then, I just use scissors to cut them out (take a look at the templates, and you'll see a lot of printing options). The software also supports individual prints at various sizes.

Quote:
Whe i mentioned the colour, the picture quality is great, its just the colours on the printed image dont seem as vibrant as the jpg or as vibrant as some photos j have had developed(before i had a digital cam)

Try tweaking your printer settings some. With the HP Photosmart 1215, under the advanced TAB, I usually set the Ink Volume a tad lower, keep Photoenhance turned on, and set the brightness up a tad. I also print at Normal quality (which seems to work best on most paper types). Paper can make a HUGE difference, too. Some papers are MUCH better than others (and I've never tried Fuji paper on an HP printer).

You may want to try manually selecting the paper type as HP Premium Photo Paper-Glossy for it (as per Fuji's instructions):

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...sPrintInst.jsp

Personally, I'd try Normal (versus Best)Quality, too (for whatever reason, I get better results using Normal vs. Best on mostnon-HP paper types).My HP seems to lay down the ink a bit too heavy in Best Mode for most other papers.

Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:47 AM   #6

Sorry my bad, the resolution on 3:2 mode is 2592x1728 (camera is a sony dsc-p120. Which as i say gives the same results as if i was to crop.So if my printer cannot do edge to edge printing i cannot get ride of the white border around the edge on 6x4 photo size paper.
Dont really want to get a new printer yet, but if i need a new one at a later date i'll get one that does edge to edge printing.I guess i could use A4 glossy photo paper, print at 6X4 then just cut it out, then i would have no borders.

would setting the printer to photo paper printing to 2400 x 1200dpi instead of PhotoREt make a difference?
I already have it set on HP Premium Photo Paper-Glossy.

Update.... i did another print with the ink on best and it still looks the same.Its hard to explain the colours,the look fine, just not the same as the jpg and not as vibrant as a developed photo from films, theres alot of colour options in photoshop but i just leave it set on 'same as source', maybe the colours are just me as maybe they image colours do look different on a monitor than they do on photo paper, after about 5mins after printing the colours seem better maybe the inks had more time to settle(still not the same vibrantness as the monitor).Also with the borders, the border on the one side of the paper is always biger than the other side's, it would'nt be as bad if the border was the same size all round bout the borders are 7mm top, 7mm bottom,4 mm left 15mm right. (thats looking at it as if its landscap.In the priview in photoshop the borders left and right look the same.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:00 AM   #7

1) If your printer cannot do edgeless printing you can buy paper that tears off the edges. You print an 81/2 x 11 print and get 3 prints per page...

Avery 53270 is an example.

2)The 920 is not really a photo printer but you will probably get better results if you calibrate the printer and monitor to the same levels and then enhance the picture to what you want.

Simple calibration is to print a test print... Adjust the monitor to match...

More advanced version is to do something like this http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

------------------------------------------
The 940 is more a presentation printer than a photoprinter. You can make some fine prints for school and business reports, but it is not really made for photo printing. The pitch of the head, ink characteristics, paperand other factors combine to give a smooth realistic photoprint.

Good luck
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:04 PM   #8

I see, maybe i will get a printer thats better at doing photos than this 940c , not now though, at a later date when i have some spare cash.

But for now im still trying to get rise of these damb odd size borders, as i said its 7mm top, 7mm bottom,4 mm left 15mm right. (thats looking at it as if its landscap.In the priview in photoshop the borders left and right look the same.Kinda annoying.

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:29 PM   #9
Administrator

Jedi Master wrote:
Quote:
...after about 5mins after printing the colours seem better maybe the inks had more time to settle(still not the same vibrantness as the monitor)
This is normal. See how they look after about 24 hours to thoroughly dry.

Quote:
Also with the borders, the border on the one side of the paper is always biger than the other side's, it would'nt be as bad if the border was the same size all round bout the borders are 7mm top, 7mm bottom,4 mm left 15mm right. (thats looking at it as if its landscap.In the priview in photoshop the borders left and right look the same.
That is odd (border sizes different, even when using a correctly cropped image). I'd try printing with the HP Photo Printing Software to see it works differently.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:49 PM   #10

Yep different sizes, even with a cropped image and a photo taken in 3:2. I tryed a print in windows picture and fax viewer border are all the same size in the preview but when i run a print the borders are all wrong same as a print with photoshop.I though it may be because i have select 4x6(with tear off tab) in the paper option, so i did one user defined just 4x6 and still the wrong size borders.I dont have any hp printing software installed

I may just go back to my idea of printing 4x6 images on a A4 sheet of the same type of paper, the cut them out.Simple solution to 4x6 without borders(seen as my printer cant do edge to edge on 4x6 sheets). But i would still like to figure out why its giving me this aggro.

Thanks for all the help though.