Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Nov 9, 2004, 2:57 PM   #1

Any ideas out there for printing in the field 4x6 to 8x10 size instant prints? I just recently read about the dye sublimation printers vs ink jets and am unsure of which route to take. Here is an example of what I do: I take photos of couples and families at various gatherings, reunions, banquets, dances etc... In the past, I 've always mailed the pics to them which of course, adds to the expense. If I can print direct on-site either from a pict-bridged printer or use a laptop connected to a printer, this would be great.

My other concern with this type of set up is the strength of the flash. So I would also like some feed back as to which cameras offer a strong flash for group photos.
rob j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:42 AM   #2

Hi Rob

I work in professional photography in the UK, and although we dont do this type of work ourselves, most people who do it professionally use Kodak Dye-sub printers running off laptops. Printing speed is important - you have to get them done in time , so until recently inkjets were too slow. The new Canon Pixma printers are very fast and produce great prints - I've got an IP4000 and I'm very pleased with it - worth considering, and will be cheaper to run than a Dye-sub.

As for flash, you will have to use an external flash to get enough coverage - this means a camera with a hot-shoe and a Metz or Vivitar flash.

HTH

Brian
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:10 PM   #3

Brian,

Thanks for this information. Since I am not familiar the dye-sub printers, I will definitely look into them as well as the canon that you have.
rob j is offline   Reply With Quote