Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:11 PM   #1

Does anyone know of a good duplicate file search utility for Win 2k? A search on Google only comes up with shareware or payware programs on the first 20 to 30 results. I want to be able to search by filename and file size (and maybe also by date).
I copied a bunch of my pics I'd taken (since I first got a digicam in may / june 2003) to a folder, and before deleting the duplicates, I have almost 7,000 pics!! (I hope to get it down by a few ,000's after deleting the duplicates.)
As for deleting the duplicates, I suppose it wouldn't matter, but when I was starting to go through by hand (using the Windows search utility) and delete them, I was leaving the ones in the folders which had the earliest date in their names.
Also is there a utility that will categorize my pics into various folders based on the date / time in the exif? and for dates with fewer than a certain number of pics, all consecutive ones like that would go into one folder whose name would have the date of the latest pic in that group.

And, when I finally get everything down to a reasonable quantity to print, like hopefully under 500 to 750 pics, is there a place I can get 4x5.33 or 6x4.5 (all my pics are 4:3 aspect ratio not 3:2) prints (including printing the exif data on the back of each print) prints for under $50 to $80 total? I will probably have enough prints so that if I was going to put them on one media I'd probably have to burn them to a DVD and even then it might take 2 DVDs. (as of this posting the folder with all the pics (yet to be sorted/pruned) for printing has 6,729 jpg's taking up about 7.5GB.

Any suggestions?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:06 PM   #2

AcdSee has a duplicate file search function that can search by file name or by the image.

It is pretty amazing at finding duplicate images with different file names. It lets you preview each set of dups and delete the ones you don't want.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 1:42 AM   #3

I am looking for something that doesn't ask you to register or buy it. ACDsee, the version I saw on the site, costs $49.99 for the basic and $79.99 for the advanced. That is $49.99 or $79.99 above what I can afford.

I did find oldversion.com which has some older versions of it... would one of those work? (edit: I tried 5.0.1 and it's payware too, as is 2.22 Any suggestions for something else that never asks for registration?.)

If not, is there something that will do what I am trying to do that doesn't cost anything? I couldn't find anything on google, freshmeat, or sourceforge. If I see on a site things like "$", "register", "buy", "trial", "try", "purchase", and variations on that, it's the same thing as saying "f*ck", "c*nt", "motherf*cker", "sh*t", "d*ck", "t*ts", "c*ck", etc...
Ok so it's not THAT bad but I am as excited to see those words on a website hosting software as a movie watcher would be if someone decided to use continuous shooting with flash mode on their EOS-1Ds Mark II. (which is the camera I would need to get to be able to take some of the pics I've wanted to get but can't (and the S1 IS was a stretch for my budget), and I'd still need the 1200mm lens and 2x extender, but alas it still won't give me good depth of field, no noise, and > 1/2000" shutter speed for a starlit portrait of something dark that's moving fast)
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:03 AM   #4

I've been using "xplorer2 lite" by www.zabcat.com to help with this problem...it's a dual paned Explorer that lets you identify differences between panes...may not be perfect...but it helps me! And FREE!
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote