Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:06 AM   #1

Hi, experts! First, Happy New Year!

I'm looking for the best online photo printing company for our family's holidays pictures. We're using Nikon Coolpix 5000 and most of them were taken as 1.5 MB jpg files. Any recommendation? We want to get them printed in 4x6,8x10 and 10x15 or larger. Thanks.

Jong
jhbaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:30 PM   #2
Administrator

The best prints I've gotten in the past from online services have come from http://www.photoaccess.com

However, they have now merged with another company (Photoworks). I have not ordered from them since the merger.

Another service I've recently used is http://www.winkflash.com

Their prints were good (but to be frank, I don't think they were as good as I've gotten from photoaccess.com in the past). They turned out just a tiny bit darker than I'm accustomed to when I order prints (although people that saw them were very pleased). My most recent order with Winkflash was received last week.

Forum Member RyanH did a comparison a while back of different online printing services. His pick was Winkflash. You can see his comments here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 5:55 PM   #3

I've ordered a lot of prints from winkflash. They turn out great and come in a cardboard envelope. Also they have a flat shipping price regardless of the number of prints you order.
planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:19 PM   #4

I, too, like Winkflash, but I also order from Snapfish. Yeah, yeah, lots of people really don't like Snapfish (and I don't either after their processing slowed to a turtle's pace during the holiday season and only gave me $5 off my order) but they do offer a few good things that Winkflash doesn't:

(1) Poster sized prints

(2) Express shipping (Winkflash is only standard USPS... if it has to be there quickly, no guarantees)

(3) Web-based editing program (compared to Winkflash, which requires you do download something. Doesn't work with Macs). Of particular interest is customized cropping, which Snapfish allows you to do on-line. (You upload a "standard" proportioned digital photo, but want to print 8X10... snapfish allows you to define a custom crop with the 8x10 proportions. On the website, with winkflash, you can only choose "left, middle, right" crop.)

(4) easier photo "sharing" -- I believe you can send links to albums and others can check out the album without having to register on the site.

Winkflash does seem to print darker than snapfish; but it will accept file formats other than jpeg... Winkflash is much cheaper, and, as noted above, sends your prints in a much sturdier mailer.

My experience.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:59 PM   #5

Thank you for your responses !!

I'm looking around those sites you guys recommended.

Thanks a lot again!! I'll let you know my experience later.
jhbaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 3:45 PM   #6

While I haven't found the best online photo printing shop yet, I started compiling a big list of printers a few weeks back. Right now it's mostly pricing, shipping, and paper info, but I hope to be ordering a whole bunch of prints this month to check out the quality ...

http://www.geekbooks.com/photo_prints_1000.htm

The big question: what do I do with dozens of identical shots? :-)
geekbooks is offline   Reply With Quote