Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:24 PM   #1

I am new to the world of Digital photography having bought a 20d; i realise, reading the comments in these forums, that i have much to learn. My first question concerns printing. Can someone advise whether I need to set the resolution of an image before printing (Photoshop elements Image- change size-resolution) or whether this is done automatically when i set the page size. In other words if i want to print in 5x7 and want the highest quality should I enter a resolution of 300 or so or is this set by default by the software when I enter the page size in 'Page set Up'. I use PS elements or when i want borderless prints , Easy Photo-Print. Thanks in advance for any help.
nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:26 PM   #2

nigel wrote:
Quote:
I am new to the world of Digital photography having bought a 20d; i realise, reading the comments in these forums, that i have much to learn. My first question concerns printing. Can someone advise whether I need to set the resolution of an image before printing (Photoshop elements Image- change size-resolution) or whether this is done automatically when i set the page size. In other words if i want to print in 5x7 and want the highest quality should I enter a resolution of 300 or so or is this set by default by the software when I enter the page size in 'Page set Up'. I use PS elements or when i want borderless prints , Easy Photo-Print. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Nigel,

I'm quite a newbie at this myself but if you read Slipes comments here

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=32

He explains how to resize/crop if required, he does use 4x6 but you could just use your own size.

Also look here for image sizes for printing images a different sizes

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=32

As for entering the resolution you should put in what the printer can do normally its 300dpifor most prints. I read this somewhere, but can't remember where read so many forums!.

Hope this helps.

You can always try http://www.dcmag.co.uk try the forums there as well its the web site for Digital Camera Magazine. very good.

Cheers Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:33 PM   #3
Baz

Hello Nigel, You mention Easy Photo Print, and so I guess you have a Canon printer.

I've been using two Canons for some years. I find that the Easy Photo-Print software takes care of the problems you are concerned about.

I always set the highest resolution, with the least compression in my camera. With printing the more pixels, the better. And so I never alter the resolution, and rarely crop. That Canon software takes care of using the best dpi from the image resolution available.

As to cropping. It's rarely needed as it can be done using the Canon software with the "Trim" feature after you select the paper size, whether it be bordered or borderless.

I cant comment about PhotoShop. However as you mention setting the resolution to 300, as far as I know, images dont have a resolution of 300. That is a dpi (or ppi) setting as used for monitor viewing, printing, or scanning. The image resolution is the # of horizontal pixels x # of vertical pixels.

What I am suggesting Nigel is, give Easy Photo-Print a go. Let is sort out these details, and use the trimming option to crop the picture, both for bordered and borderless.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:04 AM   #4

Cheers Ian; I'll check out those sites.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:10 AM   #5

Thanks for that Baz. If I follow you, when I use Easy Photo Print I don't need to worry about resolutions etc because the software will determine the max dpi needed. I always shoot in Large/fine or medium/fine.

I envy you living in NZ! so many photo opportunities. I was there two years ago and got through so much film. I will have to return with my 20D!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:05 AM   #6
Baz

Yes, Nigel, Thats what I am saying. How are you doing with Easy PhotoPrint ?

Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:34 AM   #7

Easy Photo Print is excellent. I have printed out a good number of photos and am delighted with the ease of use of the software and the quality of the prints. i tend to use Photoshop Elements to do any retouching necessary but always print from E.P.P. That way I can guarantee borderless prints which i can't seem to get from photoshop. Nigel.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:52 PM   #8

I've been using a guideline from Ben Long's book - Complete Digital Photography - and typically set the pixels/inch at 240 or higher (do not confuse this with the printers dpi).

As an example - if you are shooting at 5 MP with a typical digicam - you probably have 2560 X 1920 pixels - at a resolution of 72 pixels per inch for a size of 35.5 X 26.7 (depending on your camera). If you simply crop this down - using certain software - the image will be (possibly) resampled keeping the resolution at 72 (in which case some data/pixels will be thrown away). If you use photoshop you can increase the resolution to 240 WITHOUT resampling and then crop with resampling as necessary. This will keep more pixel density in your photo. With PS Elements 3.0 you can make these modifications under "Image/Resize/Image Size".
I'm not sure what the Easy Photo Print option does - nor do I claim to be an expert - this has just been my method after reading Long's book. The important thing is whether you not the photo prints out pleasing - try a few different things with your software, printer, setup and see what produces the best results for you. Take some time in the beginning to make sure you get the best results you can - you may end up wasting some paper/ink in the beginning but will end up with better pictures overall for the lifetime of your printer.
cdarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:46 AM   #9
Baz

Hi cdarm, I dont have that book. I imagine it is very good.

There's much confusion about resolution. Image pixel count and ppi/dpi.

Two very different things. Many think digi images have a resolution of 72dpi.

Not so. AFAIK, digi camera images dont have a dpi resolution. That is a variable that can be changedin software such as PhotoShop, for printing in PhotoShop so as to change the print size. It's not part of an image file.

Change the dpi in PS to anything, send/email it to others. It will display on their monitor at the resolution of their monitor.(usually 72)

I noticed a forum member complained that even though he changed the cameras resolution, the images remained at 72dpi. I guess he was using/viewing in PS or other, where the default dpi is 72 & has no bearing on the camera resolution.

As I told Nigel, dont mess with dpi. As long as it's a high pixel count, let the Canon printer EPP software sort out the dpi for the best print at the paper size you select. I imagine other printer software does the same.

Of course one needs to do the maths, so that the linear pixels are enough to result in about 200 dpi for the print size you select.

Thats my understanding. I stand to be corrected, so please explain further.

FYI, this site has much info on resolutions:

http://www.ltlimagery.com/resolution.html