Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:49 PM   #1

At what point (i.e. how many prints you need to have done for your own enjoyment) do you decide that it's better to get a photo viewer device with extensive storage and an LCD, rather than have a ton of pics printed? I'm mainly thinking about the cost, but would be willing to look at other factors.

In either case, I want to be able to see the exif data (on the back of the print, or by pressing a button on the viewer).
On a viewer, I'd like to be able to store as many pics at once as possible at highest quality (so far I've mainly shot with an A70, A80, and S1 IS). I do have a DVD recorder in my computer, so DVD would be nice to have (although it would probably require at least 2 or 3 or more, and I would like to be able to fit it all onto one media.) If I was to get a hard disk one, I would want one that's EXTREMELY durable - won't mess up the media if I drop it from a few feet up onto a hard floor multiple times (or even throw it across the room cause somehow it slips from my hand at a rapid velocity) while it's accessing the drive.
A HUGE plus would be high-speed memory card slots so I can transfer images to it while I'm away from a computer. (I'd also transfer other things to it like mp3 files, too.)
As a plus, I would also like something that can play and record audio, including mp3 and wave. (I would be willing to lose the record function on a DVD player, unless I could get a good price on one.) Also a plus (but not required) would be a radio with a very high quality AM section.

So, should I go get some prints, or start looking at digital viewers that either have hard drives with top notch shock absorbers or read DVDs?
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:42 PM   #2

I'm getting a few test prints done at a local place...
including slow shutter speeds at long zoom, lower resolutions, and an ISO series on the S1 IS (ISO 50 to ISO 6400)

"Wait a sec... the Canon S1 IS only goes to ISO 400!!"

"Well, if you set exposure compensation to minus 2 stops, and exposure bracketing to +/- 2 stops, you get compensation of minus 4 stops. That, combined with ISO 400, is like shooting at ISO 6400."

"Wow! But don't the pictures come out really dark?"

"Well, yes, but you brighten them in post processing. I should warn you, though - ISO 6400 on a small sensor camera is going to be EXTREMELY noisy on the screen. I'm wondering what it will look like in print. Super high ISOs on a dSLR should be MUCH better quality. I would hope a Canon Rebel XT should be able to get a 1/4000" shutter speed at night with a bright blue sky and a large depth of field, and almost NO noise. For example, my Canon S1 IS, with 15", ISO 400, and F/2.8, is still a couple stops too dark."
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote