Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old May 16, 2005, 4:17 PM   #1

i am planning to buy a printer soon. my question is this: does the epson R300 or R320 produce the same quality pics as the picturemate series? budget is a consideration and i am kind of constrained to a budget of around $250 CDN. i think epson printers are good, though i am open to suggestions too. thanks!
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 5:24 PM   #2

Hi junji98.

Sorry if you have already bought a printer, If you have please don't read on, as this info will now be pointless and you don't want to be (potentially) told something after the horse has bolted.

If you haven't, i'll just give my opinion as an R300 owner.

I understand that the Epson Picturemate produces excellent prints and while you have the portability of the unit and can just buy a pack which includes the ink and photo paper for100 prints, you are restricted to only printing at 6x4 inches.

The R300 also produces excellent prints, I've been using mine since August last year and never had a problem. Prints up to A4 Borderless, from memory cards blah, blah, blah. I'm sure you have looked at the specs by now. Yes, there are better printers, the R800, 1290 and more, including from other manufacturers, but then you're talking big bucks. For the money, the prints from my R300 are as good as a professional finish, to my eye.

Obviously I don't know Canadian retailers so you have to decide where to buy from, but I have found an R300 here for $179.00 in Markham, Ontario, http://www.computers-canada.com/redi...mp;vendID=1408

You say you are constrained to a budget, (aren't we all !!), so you might want to consider the Epson R200. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the R300, but ithas the same print engine and performs identically to the R300, in terms of speed and print quality. Oh, and you can get one for around $60.00 less !!

Have a look here, http://www.computers-canada.com/redi...amp;vendID=305

Regards,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 3:18 PM   #3

thanks very much for the info steve. i actually havent bought one yet because of research. do the pictures come out dry from the R300 or does one still have to dry them? thanks!

Old May 29, 2005, 5:41 AM   #4

Pretty much dry straight out the printer. I know the pigment inks are dry immediately from the likes of the C84 and the R800 etc, but the dye in the R300 is certainly touch dry right away. I haven't got any smudges or fingerprints yet. I handle them straight away but usually leave them laying flat for a few hours before putting them in an album or frame, as a precaution.

I just think with being on a budget, you will be very pleased with the R300 or, as I said, maybe the cheaper version, the R200. It uses the same ink cartridges (six individual), print engine and from what I've seen on a friends R200, the same quality.

I believe that some stores will allow you to take a memory card in and print one off to see what you think. Obviously the printers with card readers built in, like the R300 or Picturemate. Maybe you could find one and try that.

Good luck with your search.

Stevekin.
Old May 29, 2005, 6:19 AM   #5

thanks again steve. am at the verge of buying the r200 already. just 1 more issue, how is ink consumption? i heard epson guzzles up the ink. what has been your experience?
Old May 29, 2005, 6:33 AM   #6

I haven't really kept a check on my consumption and have only had Epson printers, so can't compare with others.

I just feel that with the quality I get I can live with any negative aspects towards ink useage. But I can put it this way...........I usually print something like 8 to 12 photos at 6x4 borderless every week (sometimes more), and have never thought to myself, "blimey that ran out quick !".

One thing, the light cyan and light magenta get used up the quickest, (with photos of course), same amount of ink as the other colours, just uses more.

I never use third party inks for photos, only in much cheaper printers for text, you will never get the exact same quality and longevity as the originals and you may cause problems with clogging. I know, depending on the price you pay for your printer a set of inks can be the same !!! Ive often considered just buying another printer when the ink runs out and if the cartridges that ship with the printer had more ink in them I just might do that, but I understand that they are usually not to the same capacity as the ones you will buy afterwards.

One other thing, all printers will clog at sometime, that's why they have the cleaning procedure built in to the software, but I have only had to perform this procedure one time for one nozzle that was clogged. Maybe I've been lucky, but I don't think they are as bad as they are made out. You usually only read about the problems with printers, weigh that up against the many more that don't have problems.

Stevekin.

Old May 29, 2005, 8:41 AM   #7

ok thanks steve. you have been very helpful.
Old May 29, 2005, 9:31 AM   #8

You're welcome Junji98.

I'm just surprised we haven't had the Epson bashers on..............yet !! :-)
Old May 29, 2005, 9:52 AM   #9

Sorry for delay in reply, I wasn't here so didn't spot this thread before.
I'm also user of R300, previously I had Stylus Color 640 and my girl had HP DeskJet 5550 so I can compare it with these two printers.

I agree on everything what was said about quality and comparing R300 to PictureMate with Steve. The only thing I would like to tell about ink consumption.
I found that the cheapest solution to print text would be HP, on the 2nd place my Epson Stylus 640 and R300 is much more ink hungry than two previously mentioned printers...
Photos done from R300 looks a bit better IMHO than from HP 5550 and way much better from Epson Stylus 640. Also I spot that R300 don't print small text(I've printed very small font to print out answers for exam ) and I should say that HP print text clearly than R300.

PS I've choose R300 and not R200 only because I was looking to print on the CDs and wish to had monitor as wan't sure how printer would be supported by Linux(currently my OS, BTW it's work perfectly under Debian using CUPS drivers), and because I wish to print from SD card from time to time.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 1:26 PM   #10

Thanks for the comparison sensovision, it always helps to get another angle, although the R200 does print to CD's and DVD's, but you you are right, it doesn't have a colour monitor, nor the option for one. Neither does it have the built in card reader that the R300 has. It is also USB 1.1 and not USB2 like the R300.

These are some of the bells and whistles I mentioned earlier junji98. If you are not fussed about them, don't bother with the R300. If I am honest, I haven't printed to CD or DVD, I only used the card reader once (just to see if it worked ok), and the USB2 is only for the communication between Printer and Computer and not for the card readers or any other hardware add on.

Right, I'm done. Enjoy your new printer junji98.

Stevekin.