Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Printing General

Old May 21, 2005, 3:10 PM   #1
ico

Hi guys

Pls help me someone. Ive got 7Mg pixel DC. Picture got 3Mgb. When I used software picture capacity increased to 5Mgb. I used crop to 6x4. Then I took the pictures to digital store for theprinting. They did the prints and told me there was no problem with printing. When I came home I found out the pictures was uncompleted like cropped again. Id like ask how I must set the pictures for best quality and looking how on the computer for printing 6x4. Do Ihave toresize?

Thank you

Kind regards Ico
ico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 12:05 AM   #2

The reason your file size is bigger (assuming you didn't change dimensions) with software, is that is using a different compression setting than the camera. This is normal.

I have seen a lot of complaints about print size from stores. If your pictures were only cropped a little, that is probably normal as well. The store printers seem to all use borderless printing engines that make your pictures a little bigger to compensate for irregulaties in paper and positioning. If a lot of your picture was missing, then you may have to find out what the store uses for DPI, and size your pictures to give 6x4 at that DPI.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 5:24 AM   #3
ico

Hi Brian

thank you for answer. Problem with cropping in the store is resolved It was my mistake I used software wrong but Id like ask about colours of the pictures. On my computer are colors more lighter then after printing. After print are moredark. Its only problem in printer or I must resize down because my ppi is 3042/6 ? I think too high. Or try another store printer because sharpness of pictures is perfect. My computer screen resolution is 1280x768. Thank you in advance for help .

Kind regards Ico
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:53 AM   #4

I have found that prints tend to be darker in general than monitor displays, but this can be dealt with. You need to have a way to adjust your monitor to the printer profile when editing pics to print. There are expensive and complicated ways to do this using hardware and software to calibrate everything. For a simpler solution, I use a small program called Gamma Panel. Have a picture printed straight from the camera - no edits. Open the picture in your editing software, and using Gamma Panel, adjust for same colors and brightness level as print. Save this as a profile name in gapa, and then, when editing for print, use this, and when editing for web or using other software, switch backto default. You can also set other profiles for any number of specific applications.

brian
Old Jun 9, 2005, 1:25 PM   #5
ico

Hi Brian

Thank you for help. I tried Gamma panel .The right setup for printing is Brightness:Min. Contrast:Min. and Gamma doesnt matter if its Min. or Max. I tried exatly same colors like my prints from store. I found out the computer screen looks like prints only when I set blue color:?. It means totally lackness of blue color on the prints. Its possible? Iam confused. I tried then my own Gamma panel from my computer and results was similar but Gamma was nearly Min. Its problem with in store printer? I used My Sony P200 in autoshot mode so I think the colors must be good. I attach original picture and print what do you thinking about it. Thank you in advance Ico
Attached Files
File Type: zip p200.zip (104.0 KB, 62 views)
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:57 PM   #6

Wow! After looking at your files, I am stumped. I can't imagine why there would be that much difference in color levels. All I can do is asksome questions.

Have you tried getting pictures printed directly from the camera? This is what I would try, to see if the colors from the printer's are close to what the camera makes without any processing. There may be a problem with the printer.

If prints from camera are OK, try comparing the look of the camera LCD to your monitor.

The original looks very good on my monitor, and the print is definitely lacking in blue, so my best guess is that the problem is with the printer. If you have another way to get prints, that may be the way to go.

brian
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:43 PM   #7
ico

Hi Brian

thank you for answer. It was in store printer. I havent own printer. I think Ill go back to store and ask them for reprint some pictures. Then Ill try another store or online print services. Thank you for your patience and helpfull advices . Ill send to you message when Ill do more prints how is result.

Kind regards Ico